Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Zissou every now and then nips me. Its never hard and is usually very brief but always catches me off guard. He also bites when burrowing in, well, anything that he can get into. He chomps down and tries to pull it close to his face. Today when he was getting comfortable in my arm pit (guess thats one way to get accustomed to my scent), he kept gnawing on my t-shirt and yanking it around. When I put him away i noticed a huge slobber stain! Do hedgehogs normally do this when they burrow? Also I really don't like him directly biting my hands. Is there any way to get him to stop?
On a side note...
This armpit thing happened after he took a bit of a fall. He was trying to get comfortable in a hand towel on my stomach and rolled off onto the bed! He rolled out of the towel and was lying there on his back with his legs directly in the air looking very confused. Made me realize how hard of a time these guys have when getting back on there feet. I couldn't stop laughing! :lol:

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Yes, chewing fabrics is very common. Some of them just love to chew and neckline and armpit areas are very popular. Sometimes they will accidentally grab skin while chewing. If he likes to chew on clothing, wear something you don't mind if he chews. I have ones that will chew my t-shirt for as long as I let them. chew chew chew annoint....

If he is biting your fingers, keep them away from his mouth. The behaviour may go away or perhaps he is only doing it when he smells something good on your fingers. Sometimes when they first get up they are hungry so try offering him some of his food when he first gets up.

·
Registered
78 Posts
If this is accidental ok but keep fingers together and away from his mouth. Blow in his face if he bites you. Somtimes a nervous hedgehog will bite but don't give him a chance to bite. Use a fleece to wrap him in and to keep him calm. Don't let biting become a bad habit

1 - 3 of 3 Posts