Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I haven't been on in a while!
So sneezy has been chewing his hind paw nails- is that normal?? is he just taking care of his hygiene himself? Its absolutely fine with me if he wants to help out and trim the back nails- but I just want to make sure its ok, and not a symptom of something else.
Grumpus is still the grumpiest hedgehog I have ever seen- the polar opposite of sneezy. (they live in 2 diff apartments) Grump seems to HATE people, and even when i pet him while he is in his cage he hisses and pops and tries to bite. I have had Grump since he was a baby, and he was an angel until quilling. He has never fallen, or anything- I have no idea why he is so unhappy! Any ideas? hedgie prozac?

·
Registered
651 Posts
I know my dogs bite their nails sometimes, same with my cats. I think it's just a grooming kind of thing, but sometimes they also do it when they have crud stuck in them (ie threads, carpet, etc.) It's like their way of telling me their nails are too long and it's time for a clipping. Try clipping his nails shorter and see if that stops the chewing.

If he's chewing the paw itself, I would put him in a warm bath, with a white towel on the bottom, let him walk over it a bit (this should remove any poop from the feet) and then take a closer look. It's possible maybe he has run his feet raw from his wheel and is chewing them because they hurt/are irritated.

As for your grumpy one, if it makes you feel any better the exact same thing happened with my Chloe. Sweetest little baby in the whole wide world, used to sit in my hand and rest her chin on my fingers. Same thing with her though, quilling turned her into a monster! I find we bond the most when she is in her kiddie pool, wading around in warm water. She doesn't ball up in there, and I actually get to see her face and talk to her and get her used to my hands and my voice again. I'm even considering starting her from square one again - used t-shirt in her igloo, holding her on the couch for 30 minutes a night, all that initial bonding stuff you do when you first get a hedgie. Maybe you could try that too?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much! Sniff does run like a crazy man, so maybe thats the issue.
As for grump- i have tried everything! he has a shirt of mine in his cage, and i guess ill start over with holding him every night as well. :( i just want him to know how much i love him, and he always seems so mad! He does like little baths, but its the only way i can get him to unroll to cut his nails, so he would probably not love having more frequent baths.

thanks so much for your advice!
-Casey

·
Registered
651 Posts
No problem!

And I totally understand your frustration. Especially when the hedgehogs WERE friendly to being with.

The worse part is that Chloe is sick too (she's losing A LOT of weight) and the vet can't figure out why, so I'm having to spend all this money on tests. I love her and I want her to be healthy, but her being so grumpy and not loving towards me definitely makes the decision of how much money am I willing to spend when I might not even be able to help her, a lot harder :cry:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts