Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something's terribly wrong is going on with Needles. :(
He is my first hedgehog and I adore him so much. Previously he had mites problems and bit himself but I took him to the vet. He's totally fine now, no dry skin, no quill loss, no scratching.
Recently, I noticed he's biting himself again! He's twitching and jumping around while biting his own chin/ neck area (he's a chubby boy). I was so scared and worried because I don't know how to stop the bleeding!

Why does he bite himself? And how to I stop him from biting himself again?
PLEASE HELP! <:(

·
Registered
809 Posts
Right off the bat I would personally put my hedgie in a warm bath with a touch of olive or coconut oil just in case it's a dry skin thing. Then, I would get on the phone with a vet and find out if the vet wants him to come in. I would do this as hedgie was drying in his towel. I prefer coconut oil. Also some hedgies do well with neosporin, the plain kind not the kind with pain relief. Most likely the vet will want to see your pet. I know it's Sunday. Do you have an emergency clinic available?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I insisted on using Revolution, but the vet just ignored me and injected 2nd dose of Ivermectin on July 2. He barely scratch at all now so I don't think mites are the problem. He only started to bite himself under his chin again on July 20. Is it because of the foot bath? I gave him a foot bath earlier that day because he had poopy feet, but I did dry him completely using a towel though. Now his bruises have some weird white and black/dark red coloration. I've been worried sick! I called the vet to ask for a solution... but she's obviously inexperience with hedgehogs.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
My fear is that because he was injected with Ivermectin he is having a bad reaction to the medication. There are just so many horror stories with Ivermectin use with hedgehogs.

Is there another vet that you can take him too? That is going to be best solution right now. I wish you all the luck in the world.

I see that you are in Malaysia, I know that vets are few and far between for exotics but double check.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
If he was given Ivermectin on July 2nd, this reaction is too late to be related to the injections, IMO. Usually the negative effects from Ivermectin are related to paralysis (since that's how it kills mites) and happen in the first few days after an injection.

Can you get a good look at his chin and neck? Does it look irritated at all? Does he have a double chin or have a lot of skin folds in that area? I know Nancy has mentioned with overweight hedgies, sometimes if skin stays damp in the skin folds or if it rubs a lot, it can get irritated and cause problems. They can start chewing because it itches or is irritated, then because it gets more irritated/painful, they just keep chewing & can cause a lot of damage.

Reactions: nikki
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.