Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found a number of small very fast running black mites on my moms hedgehog, its one of the rescues and she has 6 babies around 10 days old. From what I've seen on the net, its possible they are bird mites. Will revolution kill these? Is there anything else we can try? with all the rescues and the new babies, there is 12 hogs to treat and the revolution is just so darn expensive it might not be doable.

We really need help here. Mom didn't take these guys in because she wanted to, they literally were dumped on her and the cost of caring for them is getting up there. She just wants them healthy so they can be rehomed soon.

Has anyone tried Pyrethrin on hedgehogs or any other organic type product? I have some flea spray with cedar and citronella I could also use if it would be safe.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
If they are black, I'm not sure if they'd be bird mites - I've dealt with those (long story, but grocery cardboard boxes can be seriously infested) and they were tiny, somewhat fast, and more of a brownish color if I remember correctly. You may be able to use a bird mite spray effectively against them, Revolution may also help depending on what they are but it also may not. I've only ever used pyrethrins to treat mice with mites and in the form of a bird mite spray that I drenched myself in the day I was handling those grocery boxes. ;) I'd say start with a bird mite spray, though they may just go hide elsewhere on the body where the spray doesn't reach.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are either black or dark brown, I didn't look at them that close. They are relatively small, just a bit bigger then a period and move very fast. The hedgies aren't scabby, itchy or losing quills. I did some reading and it seems that Pyrethrin is used often in the UK for fleas so mom is going to try the powder for now.

Since the babies are still so young, she was thinking about trying some avon skin so soft on them at least to try and repel the critters so she can toss them out with the shavings.

She is also ditching the wood shavings for fleece.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Switching to fleece is a good idea! Make sure to clean frequently, and hopefully be getting rid of some bugs or eggs each time you do. Let us know how treating them works out. :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Everyone has been switched to fleece and there isn't near as many mites as there was before. I only seen one on the babies so at least for now, its being contained some what.
When your hedgie had bird mites, what were the symptoms? Did your hedgie have obvious bites? I could see bites on the babies but they aren't itchy, neither is mom. Still no quill loss. Besides a few small scabs, they don't seem to really bother the hogs.
On a side note, I'm keeping one of the babies! I played with everyone today and just fell in love with a little female. Have to wait 4 more weeks before she can come home:)

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I didn't have any on a hedgie, they were on myself! :eek: Hahaha, I was kindly helping some people move these broken down cardboard boxes and realized that they were COVERED in the nasty little things. You can't always feel them moving around, but you see them and automatically feel itchy. I drenched myself in mite spray before I could tell what they would do to me.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
LizardGirl said:
I didn't have any on a hedgie, they were on myself! :eek: Hahaha, I was kindly helping some people move these broken down cardboard boxes and realized that they were COVERED in the nasty little things. You can't always feel them moving around, but you see them and automatically feel itchy. I drenched myself in mite spray before I could tell what they would do to me.
You just made ME feel itchy, thanks Kimberly. D:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got chicken lice once when I was a kid from sticking my head in a laying box looking for eggs. Those things are awful and BIG. Had to get prescription stuff to kill them off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts