Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
995 Posts
I had used a jumbo clear one that had wheels (took those off). Sorry I don't remember the actual size. I do remember reading somewhere that you should aim for a minimum 4 sq feet of room for your hedgie to move around.

· Registered
995 Posts
Sakura said:
I'm confused since so many people use bins and yet no one knows [or will admit] how big they are and everyone is saying they're too small. :?:
I don't think it's a case of not wanting to admit. The tub Sylvie used to be in is sitting on my kitchen floor right now. I can tell you its footprint is about 2' by 3' to eyeball it, and about 2' deep, clear plastic. There's no sizing on it so I can't tell you the actual size. What I did when purchasing was took the rule of a minimum 4 square feet, went to the store and bought the biggest clear tub I could find, making sure to meet the minimum requirements.

The worry is to have a bin too small not too big, so when in doubt, go bigger.

· Registered
995 Posts
Sakura said:
Immortalia said:
I think it's also because you are wanting one single bin. Most here use at least 2 connected/stacked bins.

Also, it may be a good idea to take measurements of igloo, wheel, food/water dishes, so you see how much room they would take away from the overall floorspace. Then when looking at the bins, it'd be easier to determine what's too small.
I saw several people using a single bin per hedgehog. I have no issue with doing something else if I have to, I was just pointing out that there are a lot of people who use single bins and yet no one can tell me what size they are and now people are saying they're too small.
On this thread I only saw one person state a bin size as too small and suggesting attaching the two together. There's at least 4 different postings with rough size suggestions, including at least 3 that are referencing single bins. Take a look through the messages again.

Alternatively if you're in the store and looking at bins, take a measurement and then post it online before you buy to learn people's opinions on its size.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.