Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What size bins do you use? I've been scouring the cage threads for at least an hour, but no one mentions what quart size their bins are. I'm a math idiot. I need to be hand-fed information. Lol!

TIA!

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Two 73 quart tubs hooked together work well (for me anyways), if you want just one tub, go for something larger than that. Of course I don't have any larger tubs sitting right here so I can't give specifics on them... :roll:

I like the 73 quart ones though because they are a decent size (when using two) and often go on sale for around $4 USD.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was hoping to go with one so I will keep searching. We're military, so as much as I want to do something elaborate or some sort of C&C Cage, it's just not easily moved. Considering the gliders and bird already have massive setups I'd like to keep the one for the hedgie fairly portable. One bin would be awesome because I could cut holes in the lid and on top of the bin and move the hedgie in his cage just like that when needed.

Thanks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Immortalia said:
You JUST missed the earlier postings/probable sales on Christmas tree storage boxes

Though I wonder if you could still ask the employees at those stores and see if they still have some in the back somewhere.
That's ok. ^_^ Wal-Mart has the 90-quarts for CHEAP. Full price is fine with me, it's not like they're expensive or anything! Ha ha ha! You never know, maybe I'll get lucky. ;)

·
Registered
60 Posts
I personally like using 2 bins for several reasons.
-easier to fit into the bathtub to clean
-easier to carry/move around

I use 1 larger tub and 1 smaller one. I put the wheel in the smaller one and my hedgie does all his potty in there so it's easier to clean every day and at the end of the week there's just 1 small tub to wash out.

I use one of those ferret tubes to connect the two. It has rings that hold the tube onto the tubs. I can easily disconnect the tubs and stack them inside one another for transport. Many people use PVC pipes, but cutting a 4" PVC pipe with a hand saw is not fun. Then you have to worry about sharp edges and gluing the tube into place, which of course can't be removed. Also PVC is a toxic plastic.

http://www.petco.com/product/109172/Sup ... erralID=NA

I use rubbermaid roughneck bins since they are taller so I don't have to worry about escape artists and use a screen/lid. I also found that under room temperature (68 degrees), I didn't need to heat the plastic before drilling holes. The opaque bins seem to be stronger than the clear plastic type. Either that or other people were drilling in cold weather.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I had used a jumbo clear one that had wheels (took those off). Sorry I don't remember the actual size. I do remember reading somewhere that you should aim for a minimum 4 sq feet of room for your hedgie to move around.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a 110 quart Sterilite for my hedgies at home. Their wheel fits in them and they have plenty of room. When I travel have 70 qt set ups. They take up less room and are good for tempoarary usage.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
silvercat said:
I had used a jumbo clear one that had wheels (took those off). Sorry I don't remember the actual size. I do remember reading somewhere that you should aim for a minimum 4 sq feet of room for your hedgie to move around.
Yes I read that too. Having a hard time finding a list of their sizes and dimensions. LOL.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm confused since so many people use bins and yet no one knows [or will admit] how big they are and everyone is saying they're too small. :?:

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
For along time I used two Sterlite 106 quart bins connected with PVC pipe. They each measured 33 inches long 18 inches wide and around 12 inches tall and with two of them connected together hedgies have lots of room.
Now I use Christmas tree storage bins for all my hogs. They are 48 inches long(4ft),19 inches wide and a little over 11inches tall. If you use the lid on the christmas tree bin it's 14 inches tall.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Sakura said:
I'm confused since so many people use bins and yet no one knows [or will admit] how big they are and everyone is saying they're too small. :?:
I don't think it's a case of not wanting to admit. The tub Sylvie used to be in is sitting on my kitchen floor right now. I can tell you its footprint is about 2' by 3' to eyeball it, and about 2' deep, clear plastic. There's no sizing on it so I can't tell you the actual size. What I did when purchasing was took the rule of a minimum 4 square feet, went to the store and bought the biggest clear tub I could find, making sure to meet the minimum requirements.

The worry is to have a bin too small not too big, so when in doubt, go bigger.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I think it's also because you are wanting one single bin. Most here use at least 2 connected/stacked bins.

Also, it may be a good idea to take measurements of igloo, wheel, food/water dishes, so you see how much room they would take away from the overall floorspace. Then when looking at the bins, it'd be easier to determine what's too small.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Immortalia said:
I think it's also because you are wanting one single bin. Most here use at least 2 connected/stacked bins.

Also, it may be a good idea to take measurements of igloo, wheel, food/water dishes, so you see how much room they would take away from the overall floorspace. Then when looking at the bins, it'd be easier to determine what's too small.
I saw several people using a single bin per hedgehog. I have no issue with doing something else if I have to, I was just pointing out that there are a lot of people who use single bins and yet no one can tell me what size they are and now people are saying they're too small.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I don't use a bin but if you were to use two of them that were the same size, they would stack and be the same size as one for moving. That way they would stay really portable and all you'd have to do it reassemble is unstack and put the connector pipe back :) If I do go with a bin set up at some future time, I have been eyeing those Christmas Tree Boxes that are listed above. They seem like the perfect sized bin and offer a lot of one level floor space :)

Can't wait to see pics when your new one arrives :)

·
Registered
270 Posts
the bin my girls are in right now are about 1 and 1/2ft by 4 and ft for their main house with a smaller 1 and 1/2 ft by 2 and 1/2ft for their wheels. they are attached with pvc.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Sakura said:
Immortalia said:

I saw several people using a single bin per hedgehog. I have no issue with doing something else if I have to, I was just pointing out that there are a lot of people who use single bins and yet no one can tell me what size they are and now people are saying they're too small.
On this thread I only saw one person state a bin size as too small and suggesting attaching the two together. There's at least 4 different postings with rough size suggestions, including at least 3 that are referencing single bins. Take a look through the messages again.

Alternatively if you're in the store and looking at bins, take a measurement and then post it online before you buy to learn people's opinions on its size.

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
silvercat said:
How high are the Christmas Tree bins?
They are 48 inches long(4ft),19 inches wide and a little over 11inches tall. If you use the lid on the christmas tree bin it's 14 inches tall.
If your talking about price the were $25usd

1 - 20 of 26 Posts