Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi so i saw the post cage set up examples and saw a few people had there hedgies cage as a plastic storage box/bin and then i found a site about the Bin cage wich is like one of these...... http://i.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto/Articles/2101498/DSC03890-main_Full.jpg and as it would be alot cheaper i was wondering if there was any way of custamising it to make it sutible for are hedgehogs? what do you think?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Those look fine for hedgehogs, I would put a different wheel in it and liners instead of wood shavings. Also to aid in air flow I would drill small holes in the sides. They are really easy to modify. I got my dad to wield the drill for ours it worked out fine.

EDIT: I forgot but I hope you know that since that cage looks like it was meant for rodents hedgehogs won't need some of that stuff, and will not be able to use the water bottle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks yeh i know im having fleece for a lining and a water bowl scince i herd water bottle chip teeth so thank you i was just checking that is was a ok cage thaaanks :D do you think i just need to drill holes around the top or do you think im going to need to drill holes and the bottom to to insure there enough ventillation or..?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I think most people drill holes closer to the bottom or half way up the sides. Because hedgehogs are so close to the ground you want the ventilation near your hedgehog. Maybe five inches from the bottom of the cage.

EDIT: also just wanted to add congrats and good for you for doing research and knowing about water bottles and fleece.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I use the sterilite plastic storage bins and I absolutely love them. They are cheap, easy to modify, and come in a variety of shapes, sizes, and colors. The large on in the picture is a 125 qt. sterilite bin (the one with green handles) and the small one is a 25 qt. bin. On the large bin I made the ventilation holes about 6 inches up using a soldering iron. The lid also has tons of holes but since the walls are somewhere around 11 or 12 inches high and he can't climb out I mostly leave it off for extra air flow. The small container has his food and sleep sack and it also has a small row of ventilation holes near the top, and tons of holes in the lid. Because this one is a shorter tub and the lid has to stay on at all times I doubled the number of vent. holes in the lid. I've heard of people drilling the holes by heating the plastic first with a hair dryer first to make it less likely to crack. I gave up on the drill after 5 minutes and used a soldering iron which worked like a charm. If you want to connect two or more tubs you can use 4 or 6" wide pvc pipe or plastic gutter material. Just make sure that if you build any ramps or walkways that the sides are enclosed so your hedgehog doesn't fall. Happy building!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks ..... i posted a reply ages ago but it must of deleted :evil: hehehehe :lol:

i think im going for another cage option now but thank you any way its good to know some cage options :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Bengall77 did you just zip tie the gutter material to your cage to secure the bridge between the bins? I'm expanding my girl's cage and was going to use pvc but I'm having trouble finding a long enough pipe that is threaded at both ends. The set up you have looks much easier!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts