Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to use fabric liners for my hedgie (once s/he arrives) and I was wondering what the collective's idea was for the best way to wash them. I have sensitive skin, and I use a number of "free and clear" products in my laundry. Would it be OK, once I shook the poop off, to wash these liners like I wash everything else - in the washing machine with the "free and clear" products? Or should I be washing them with special detergent?

What do you think would be best?

(I did a search for this - sorry if I'm repeating a topic that's already been covered, but I did look.)

· Registered
334 Posts
Yes, just throw them in the wash. Many people will wash them with a solution of vinegar, but I just use our regular detergent. I also run a blank load after I've done the hedgie laundry.

· Registered
908 Posts
I shake the crumbs & poops off and then toss them in the bottom of the bathtub. Next morning, I take a shower with them in the tub, they get all sudsy with the shampoo, then wring out and hang to dry over the soap & shampoo shower caddy. Once dry, I toss them in the hamper with my dirty clothes. Then it's into the regular wash with the rest of my clothes using the free & clear detergent. I hang the liners to dry (ie, no dryer with dryer sheet).

Edit: I do have several liners so it works for me just to let them sit in the hamper until it's time to do a load of wash for the humans. If you only have one or two, you might run into some problem with this method. It was developed around the principle of: what's easy for me and safe for her.

· Registered
31 Posts
We have washed them with our fragrance free detergent and fragrance free dryer sheets. I also have about 6 so it's not terribly often or troublesome. The only negative is she's quilling and those are really hard to get out of the dryer. I have had a few surprises in our loads after washing her liners. Ouchy.

· Registered
908 Posts
Yah, quilling and laundry can be special. You want to pull those quills out of the liners before they go in the wash. I did that by starting at the short edge of a liner, looking for quills in the first two inches (both visually and feeling with my fingers), removing any I saw, then rolling the "safe" area up, looking for quills in the next two inches, removing, rolling up the next area, etc... I only had one quill escape detection and make its way into the wash. Ended up in a pair of gym shorts and made for an interesting time on a treadmill. Step, step, step, poke, oww, oops, did I just fall of the back of the treadmill?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.