Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to use fabric liners for my hedgie (once s/he arrives) and I was wondering what the collective's idea was for the best way to wash them. I have sensitive skin, and I use a number of "free and clear" products in my laundry. Would it be OK, once I shook the poop off, to wash these liners like I wash everything else - in the washing machine with the "free and clear" products? Or should I be washing them with special detergent?

What do you think would be best?

(I did a search for this - sorry if I'm repeating a topic that's already been covered, but I did look.)

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yes, just throw them in the wash. Many people will wash them with a solution of vinegar, but I just use our regular detergent. I also run a blank load after I've done the hedgie laundry.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I shake the crumbs & poops off and then toss them in the bottom of the bathtub. Next morning, I take a shower with them in the tub, they get all sudsy with the shampoo, then wring out and hang to dry over the soap & shampoo shower caddy. Once dry, I toss them in the hamper with my dirty clothes. Then it's into the regular wash with the rest of my clothes using the free & clear detergent. I hang the liners to dry (ie, no dryer with dryer sheet).

Edit: I do have several liners so it works for me just to let them sit in the hamper until it's time to do a load of wash for the humans. If you only have one or two, you might run into some problem with this method. It was developed around the principle of: what's easy for me and safe for her.

·
Registered
31 Posts
We have washed them with our fragrance free detergent and fragrance free dryer sheets. I also have about 6 so it's not terribly often or troublesome. The only negative is she's quilling and those are really hard to get out of the dryer. I have had a few surprises in our loads after washing her liners. Ouchy.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Yah, quilling and laundry can be special. You want to pull those quills out of the liners before they go in the wash. I did that by starting at the short edge of a liner, looking for quills in the first two inches (both visually and feeling with my fingers), removing any I saw, then rolling the "safe" area up, looking for quills in the next two inches, removing, rolling up the next area, etc... I only had one quill escape detection and make its way into the wash. Ended up in a pair of gym shorts and made for an interesting time on a treadmill. Step, step, step, poke, oww, oops, did I just fall of the back of the treadmill?

·
Registered
123 Posts
smhufflepuff said:
Yah, quilling and laundry can be special. You want to pull those quills out of the liners before they go in the wash.
FOR SURE CHECK!

If you do them in the washer you will find quills in your undies...weeks later..

Yea I know from personal experience.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts