Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my dad said that we might be able to get a other headgehog and i was wondering what would be the best type of headgehog to breed with an albino :?:[attachment=0:3duji7g2]09-07-08_0019.jpg[/attachment:3duji7g2] here is my headgehogs picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
475 Posts
Re: best type of headgehog to breed with an albino

Don't take this the wrong way.....but from some of the questions you have posted, it tells me you are a "newbie", and do not need to be breeding. Breeding is a HUGE responsiblity and takes lots of research and knowledge. You should also be mentored by someone, so you'll have assistance when needed.

Pixie

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

i am new. i have had one about 6 months. i am asking questions just because i want to know more. ok. sue me :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

·
Registered
475 Posts

I'm glad you're asking questions. But when you get an honest answer, don't get upset about it. Becoming an APPROVED breeder takes a while and like I said, you should be mentored. Leave the FORUM section of Hedgehog Central and go to the INFORMATION section where you will find lots of information in regards to "wanting to become a breeder". The very first thing you need to make sure of, is whether or not your albino hedgie is BREEDING QUALITY.

Pixie

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

PixiesExoticHedgies said:
I'm glad you're asking questions. But when you get an honest answer, don't get upset about it. Becoming an APPROVED breeder takes a while and like I said, you should be mentored. Leave the FORUM section of Hedgehog Central and go to the INFORMATION section where you will find lots of information in regards to "wanting to become a breeder". The very first thing you need to make sure of, is whether or not your albino hedgie is BREEDING QUALITY.

Pixie
how can i tell :?:

·
Registered
475 Posts

1) Did you buy from a reputable breeder? If so, then your breeder should be able to help you and possibly be willing to mentor you, IF they think you are serious about learning the necessary knowledge about breeding hedgies.

2) Did he come with a pedigree? His pedigree and lineage is the #1 thing that will determine BREEDER QUALITY. There are other specifications that breeders look for, but this is usually the very first. You want to make sure he has a good solid background, before breeding him.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

1) Did you buy from a reputable breeder? If so, then your breeder should be able to help you and possibly be willing to mentor you, IF they think you are serious about learning the necessary knowledge about breeding hedgies.

2) Did he come with a pedigree? His pedigree and lineage is the #1 thing that will determine BREEDER QUALITY. There are other specifications that breeders look for, but this is usually the very first. You want to make sure he has a good solid background, before breeding him.
1. i got him from one of my moms freinds. he was a breeder
2. what do you mean by soiled background :?:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Pixie
im not mad.

·
Registered
475 Posts

justin j said:
Good to know....since the many exclamation marks, made it seems as though you were.
Actually, it's SOLID background.....not SOILED background. LOL! Probably just a typo.

Breeders look for pedigrees with as little: UNK (unknown) or PST (petstore) on their lineage. It's always better to have lots of actual Breeder initials in front of each hedgies name. This helps to ensure as little inbreeding as possible (hopefully), b/c you know the background of your hedgie. There is also WHS (Wobbly Hedgehog Syndrome), that breeders look for on their pedigrees.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

justin j said:
Good to know....since the many exclamation marks, made it seems as though you were.
Actually, it's SOLID background.....not SOILED background. LOL! Probably just a typo.

Breeders look for pedigrees with as little: UNK (unknown) or PST (petstore) on their lineage. It's always better to have lots of actual Breeder initials in front of each hedgies name. This helps to ensure as little inbreeding as possible (hopefully), b/c you know the background of your hedgie. There is also WHS (Wobbly Hedgehog Syndrome), that breeders look for on their pedigrees.
so mine would be a unk because i got him from a freind right :?: i have learned alot from you today. :D

·
Registered
475 Posts

At this time, I think you need to do LOTS of research, and then talk with a local breeder and see if you can become mentored. Go to the International Hedgehog Assoc. website and read the BREEDER CODE OF ETHICS and other articles about breeding. There are plenty of answers on the web for all your questions. :)

Pixie

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

At this time, I think you need to do LOTS of research, and then talk with a local breeder and see if you can become mentored. Go to the International Hedgehog Assoc. website and read the BREEDER CODE OF ETHICS and other articles about breeding. There is plenty of answers on the web for all your questions. :)

Pixie
i dont think that i am going to breed my headgehog now. but i still want to learn more and one day breed headgehogs. but dont remember who the breeder i got my headgehog froms name was because my mom got him :(

·
Registered
475 Posts

I believe you have made the RIGHT choice! Just hang in there and have fun with your little guy. Gain some experience and keep researching. One day, you'll find yourself ready for breeding. Believe me, it's a long road to go down. It took me over a year to acquire my starter hedgies for herd (waiting for good breeding quality hedgies). Then it takes a while to become approved by the HBA and IHA. So, it is definitely not a spur of the moment decision.

Pixie

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I believe you have made the RIGHT choice! Just hang in there and have fun with your little guy. Gain some experience and keep researching. One day, you'll find yourself ready for breeding. Believe me, it's a long road to go down. It took me over a year to acquire my starter hedgies for herd (waiting for good breeding quality hedgies). Then it takes a while to become approved by the HBA and IHA. So, it is definitely not a spur of the moment decision.

Pixie
ok but if you have anything to teach me can you tell me :?: :?:

·
Registered
408 Posts

Okay, i think this doesn't just go for me, but for a buch of people reading this. I get that you need much experience and research and time to breed, but now i'm curious, what is best to breed with an albino???

·
Registered
475 Posts

There is no "best to breed" with an albino (or any color for that matter). If you're breeding for personality and a clean lineage, then color does not matter. If you're breeding to produce a specific color, then you have to know what that color choice is, and then pick another hedgie whom could possibly produce the desired color.

Pixie

·
Registered
408 Posts

Wait... do albinos still have a specific color in their genes, even though they have no pigment???

·
Registered
150 Posts

There is no "best to breed" with an albino (or any color for that matter). If you're breeding for personality and a clean lineage, then color does not matter. If you're breeding to produce a specific color, then you have to know what that color choice is, and then pick another hedgie whom could possibly produce the desired color.

Pixie
Definitely agree with there not being a hedgehog that is best to breed with an albino. In my opinion I think that personality and lineage is more important to breed for than color. That should always be the main concern. So if you ever were to breed find a hedgehog that is suitable in those manners rather than color. From my understanding isn't breeding for color complex? Because a hedgehog may have different colors in his/her background you can't be too sure what you'll get out of a litter. Maybe its too complex for me to understand :roll: lol... then again I haven't researched much into breeding for color because I'm not a breeder and don't plan to be one anytime soon if ever.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts