Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm just setting up a cage for my first hedgie. I do have a room heater, but its pretty noisy and with a roommate across the hall, this isn't ideal. In your guys' opinions, what is the most cost efficient source of heat that isn't too noisy, and won't melt the bottom of my cage. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I would say a Ceramic Heat Emitter would work very well. They are a bit pricey to start out but last a long time and don't cost much to operate. If you do a search for them on here, you can get lots of information on how they work. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, I just read this post and wanted to add my idea.
For my Miss Tribble I use a heating pad tied to the side on low. It has foam padding (came with so it's safe) so she can't get too close to the actual heating pad. She loves it and often will prefer to drag her blankies over by it instead of in her hidey!

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
The only problem with using JUST a heating pad, is that the air is still cold.
This could lead to drastic temperature changes when they crawl out of bed, leading either to a lack of getting up, or perhaps even a cold.

·
Administrator
8,486 Posts
heating pads can be good for older hedgies that need an extra bit of warmth but shouldn't be used as the main or only heat source, you need something that will heat up the air in the whole cage and not just part of it. Your hedgie is probably dragging her blankie over to the heating pad because she's cold in the rest of her cage. The difference in temperature from one part of the cage to another is dangerous and can lead to a hibernation attempt in the future.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
The problem with using a heating pad is that right over the heating pad is very warm. Hedgehog sleeps on this very warm area and when he gets up to eat or wheel, the unheated cage feels that much colder because of the extra warmth where he was sleeping. The whole cage environment needs to be at a suitable temperature so there isn't a change in temperature when going from bed to wheel. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I read that a heating pad would be ok for a plastic bottom cage, and yall said we need to heat the air also,but with what can we heat the air with?

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
You heat the air with either a ceramic heat emitter or a space heater. And you should always have a thermometer for the cage at all times.
If you do a search(located top right corner) for those, you will get lots of threads about them, including the entire setup needed in order to use a CHE. (the bulb, the lamp, and most importantly, the thermostat).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts