Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My poor pudge has attempted hibernation and scared me half to death. I noticed for the last couple days he has not been eating, drinking, running and exploring and each night had a cold tummy and feet 😔. We recently had to move bedrooms where it was a constant 76-78 degree temperature to it now being 76 in the daytime and dropping to 67 at night in my room regardless of closed vents, sealed doorways and a space heater I use to get it to the perfect temp before bed. I know this isn’t consistent, the temperature fluctuates drastically and his heat pad doesn’t do glory for his whole cage, so I am wondering what is the best consistent heat source that others use to keep their hedgehogs warm at all times? My sweet boy is almost 5 and the last thing I want is for him to be cold, uncomfortable and sick.
thank you all in advance.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Flukers 150W heat emitting bulb paired with its matching reflective 10″ dome to place the CHE inside. Wider the dome, the better it will disperse heat. The taller the cage and further away from the hedgehog your CHE will be, the more wattage it needs to be. Wider the dome, the better it will disperse heat. The taller the cage and further away from the hedgehog your CHE will be, the more wattage it needs to be. If it is positioned closer to your hedgie's sleeping area following correct manufacturers guidelines for spacing between your pet and the bulb, short distances would only require a 100W CHE. The reflective dome has a 6′ cord and an on/off switch, and the bulb actually attaches to your thermostat for automatic heat control. Also, when screwed into the reflector dome can be attached to a lamp stand.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Since hedgehogs are nocturnal, we opted away from a heat lamp so they could be in the dark. We got each of them (4) their own heat pad for sleeping. Sometimes, they use it, and other times they burrow into the bedding inside the little houses they have in their enclosures (bookcases laid horizontally). We also have carpet squares on part of the enclosure so they have options where to curl up and sleep. For cover, we cut up old fleece blankets so they can bury themselves under those.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts