Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,
After reading the food list, I am wondering what the best( good choices) of cat food combination are?
Is Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul Light Cat Formula and Innova lite a good choice?
What all have you tried ??

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
I think a lot of owners try to choose foods that have different sources for the main meat, such as duck, chicken, lamb, turkey, etc. Personally, I use Solid Gold (lamb), Wellness Healthy Weight (chicken), and Natural Balance Green Pea & Duck (duck). The third one, Natural Balance, seems to be a hit among most hedgies, I don't think there's an owner yet that has found that their hedgehog doesn't like it. A lot of people also use the CSFTCLS, so that's a popular choice.

·
Registered
41 Posts
This might sound odd, or unhealthy (i had the best intentions, swear) but i give Spike a large spoonfull of vedgies at night to show him i love him, since he stopped eating the dry meal
( a combo of 2 hedgie foods and kitten) that i got from that dang www.exoticnutrition.com place so he had some greens a few days ago, the day after that chopped up some ferret yogies and carrots (which he loves ) and last night i ran out of greens and all the fruits i had were way too acidic, so i went upstairs to my brothers fridge stole half of his cabbage eggroll, took a spoonfull and a half and chopped it up "Top Chef" style and he ate the whole thing. i checked his poo this morning, it was dandy, so it didint upset him, so now we know Hedgies LOVE Chinese..lol!!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Fruits and veggies are an excellent idea...such search the forum for ones you should stay away from.

I'd be careful giving eggrolls; they're fried so they'll have a lot of grease in them, and a higher fat content than you'd want to give on a regular basis. Chinese food also has MSG in it most of the time, granted I don't know how it does or doesn't affect hedgehogs..it's not the healthiest additive for humans so I'm going to guess it shouldn't be in a hedgie diet either.

You also want to get your hedgie on a mix of some high quality cat/kitten foods. Most commercial hedgehog foods are more junk and fillers than nutrition. There's some great threads on foods to feed and I saw one not too long ago analyzing the commercial hedgehog foods. I'd guess that part of the reason he's going for the fruits and veggies over the dry food is not only the yummy taste, but the added nutrition :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm searching for that thread, i just thought it was a funny story, as far as i know msg only exists in fish i gave him the cabbage no peel. but dont worry im going grocery shopping tmrw and i now strawberries are good, he loes carrots and parsely, i have some mango in the house is that a good idea?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts