Hedgehog Central banner
161 - 180 of 188 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
6th time!

Spiky has now escaped for the 6th time this day.
It is difficult to put him back in the box, but he gets out so easily.
I'm afraid he will escape during the night and get stepped by us.
If I block the top, he wouldn't be able to breathe.
So what do I do?
We just got him a week or two ago and we researched, but I don't know anything about interacting and training the hedgehog! It said that a hedgehog could be trained like a dog. But is that possible on my hedgehog?
Also, why is he trying to escape? We gave him carrots but he ate only a little bit and continued on his way. Does he not like the box? Should it be bigger? If he doesn't like it, why not?

Please answer ASAP!
Thanks!

· Registered
2,554 Posts
You have two issues, a cage that isn't properly containing him. As well as a hedgehog that is not being handled.
Your mom is right. You need to handle him. Every single night for at least 30 minutes. The gloves won't help anything, so get rid of them. If you feel need to protect your hands then use a piece of fleece to pick him up. If he goes in a ball, huffs, jumps or does anything you still pick him up without reacting.
As far as the cage escaping, start a post the housing section with pictures and or a description of the cage and we can make suggestions about keeping him in the cage.

· Registered
1,339 Posts
I don't know where our got your information from, but nothing of what you are saying is mentioned in this forum.

Cages need lids and ventilation
Heating
Light

Hedgehogs need cat food insects plus treats (fruit, veggies).
They need min. 30 minute daily interaction
No gloves to handle them.

They cannot be train like dogs, they are nothing like dogs.

I'd suggest you read most of the stickies on the different sections of the forum so you get accurate information about your pet and if you have more questions start a new thread in the correct spot so we can help you out.

· Registered
1,339 Posts
Go to the housing part of the forum and see the ideas and options for cages, a box is in no way the right housing system.

Did you do any research before getting your hedgehog? Seems like you don't really know anything about them and if you are not willing to learn and make changes ASAP is neglect and your hedgehog should be with someone willing to provide the right accommodations.

Box can harbor mites and get dirty pretty fast and the they can get sick.

· Registered
4 Posts
Yikes, you guys are harsh. I understand the concern for the safety of the hedgie but this poster sounds like a kid.

IMO: Grace will never be back to post or ask more questions, because of the harsh responses she was given, which will lead to a worse situation for the hedgie. This forum is an awesome resource and I'd hate for Grace to walk away without utilizing the knowledge to be gleaned here.

· Registered
2 Posts
I simply have a question about my new hedgehog and a shih Tzu I have had for a while now. I just got him 3 days ago, and he seems to be kind of slowly adjusting a wee bit every day as he is only a couple months old. My dog Zoe doesn't like that little Otis seems to be a threat with his quills and all, and she can't seem to stay away. Ever. I'm wondering what may be the most effective way for him to not fear ever leaving his cage. She does not bite him ever, simply is always sniffing at him and scaring him and making him huff and curl into a ball. I want him to be as comfortable as possible, but also want for my dog to quit getting poked when she gets too close

· Registered
33 Posts
Mine's about a year old. The previous owner had small children handle him and she said it was very friendly.

I've had him about a month now but he's just grouchy, angry, defensive, and just recently he started biting my fingers when I try to hold him. Maybe he's mad because I trimmed his nails. It's not like I hurt him, he can now use his wheel and actually run. I do daily bonding time but he's shy, turns his back to me, hisses and curls up, furrows his eyebrows and jumps out at me with spikes.

Getting kinda frustrated. If I had known they were such bad pets I wouldn't have got one. This is mostly just me venting but yeah, I highly doubt he's gonna get any better. Kinda useless to have a pet that just sleeps 23 hours and hides/antisocial.

· Registered
1,339 Posts
Mine's about a year old. The previous owner had small children handle him and she said it was very friendly.

I've had him about a month now but he's just grouchy, angry, defensive, and just recently he started biting my fingers when I try to hold him. Maybe he's mad because I trimmed his nails. It's not like I hurt him, he can now use his wheel and actually run. I do daily bonding time but he's shy, turns his back to me, hisses and curls up, furrows his eyebrows and jumps out at me with spikes.

Getting kinda frustrated. If I had known they were such bad pets I wouldn't have got one. This is mostly just me venting but yeah, I highly doubt he's gonna get any better. Kinda useless to have a pet that just sleeps 23 hours and hides/antisocial.
They have different personalities, it takes time for them to come out of their shell especially when they had been rehomed. He doesn't sleep 23 hours, he's awake when you are asleep, there is a reason they are called nocturnal. Unfortunately, looks like you didn't really do much research. You might want to find him a home where he would be loved and you get a dog. From your post, it doesn't look like you have the patience to deal with a hedgehog.

· Registered
6 Posts
Am I doing the right thing?

Hi,

I am the excited new owner of a "pin cushion"...his name. This little guy will walk into my husband's hand when called, snuggle with me on the sofa, and even seems to chill around my cats. (of course, I never leave my cats unattended with pin cushion).

I am writing because I am having a bit of trouble getting him out of the cage. After he is in my hands, or on my lap, he is a very affectionate little guy...but he is extremely grumpy when I try to lift him out. I have had him about a week now. He will even nuzzle against my fingers and hand in the cage, but when I go to lift him up...he pops at me. Also, when I go to stroke his quills...an action that he seems to like while setting on my lap...he will pop while in the cage. I try to lift from under him like I am supposed to, but he really seems to be uncomfortable with me getting him. On the other hand, he allows my hubby to pick him up after only a few seconds of reassurance. So, I tend to think that I am doing something wrong. He really seems to have bonded with me and will raise his head in response t my voice when I am at the cage, but doesn't want to be picked up by me. It would be all well and good, but my husband works long shifts, and I want to spend time with pin cushion while he is gone.

I feel extremely blessed with a friendly, usually calm little boy...a wonderful addition to my other furry babies...and he seems to be comfortable with me...but we have one little problem described above. Any advice?

· Registered
1,339 Posts
Hi,

I am the excited new owner of a "pin cushion"...his name. This little guy will walk into my husband's hand when called, snuggle with me on the sofa, and even seems to chill around my cats. (of course, I never leave my cats unattended with pin cushion).

I am writing because I am having a bit of trouble getting him out of the cage. After he is in my hands, or on my lap, he is a very affectionate little guy...but he is extremely grumpy when I try to lift him out. I have had him about a week now. He will even nuzzle against my fingers and hand in the cage, but when I go to lift him up...he pops at me. Also, when I go to stroke his quills...an action that he seems to like while setting on my lap...he will pop while in the cage. I try to lift from under him like I am supposed to, but he really seems to be uncomfortable with me getting him. On the other hand, he allows my hubby to pick him up after only a few seconds of reassurance. So, I tend to think that I am doing something wrong. He really seems to have bonded with me and will raise his head in response t my voice when I am at the cage, but doesn't want to be picked up by me. It would be all well and good, but my husband works long shifts, and I want to spend time with pin cushion while he is gone.

I feel extremely blessed with a friendly, usually calm little boy...a wonderful addition to my other furry babies...and he seems to be comfortable with me...but we have one little problem described above. Any advice?
Please start your own thread with your questions.

· Registered
10 Posts
This is a great post for everyone to read. As a new owner myself, I have seen my little guys behavior change several times in the two months I have had him. I did my research before hand and somewhat knew what to expect though. The day I got pepper (he was a wedding Christmas present from my husband) he barely came out of his ball but after just one day he was social and loving to me. After a couple weeks he started quilling and became less social only coming out of his ball to eat or for a warm oatmeal bath. He is now done quilling but he still isn't the social guy he was when we first started our bond. I know he doesn't hate me though. He enjoys "scratching" his back right between his shoulder blades and will unball but he does still hiss at me. I have always believed this to be typical behavior for them since I called the breedery husband got him from and she explained to me what he was doing. His parents are the same way.

My breeder has one of his brothers from the same litter and he is the exact opposite. He never hisses or pops and almost never balls up. He's one to "play" with you, he will chase your hand around the floor and roll across it almost like a cat who caught a toy on a string.

They are very neat pets if you have the patience and mentality to own one. I agree that hedgehogs are not for some people and the disappointment they feel often leads to their hedgehogs not getting the attention they need to create a bond because they are not "fun".

I am looking into getting pepper a friend to see if he will become more social with other animals but he will always receive the same amount and care as he does now.

Thank you for the post.

· Premium Member
12,071 Posts
Are you looking to get him another hedgehog as a friend? Or another animal? Either way, that's not really a good idea. Hedgehogs are solitary animals, especially males. He can't be near a female hedgehog as they will breed. Male hedgehogs will often fight, or at best, ignore each other. And hedgehogs aren't usually much more social with other animals than they are with hedgehogs. If you want another hedgehog or animal for you, that's one thing, but please don't get one with the expectation that it will do anything for Pepper - it could very well make him worse at least for a bit while he adjusts to the new smells & presence of a different animal, to be honest.

· Registered
1 Posts
I have had my hog for 6 months as soon as he hears you he wants to come out to snuggle in your neck and sleep if you put him down he will climb up your leg he just wants to be on you HOWEVER for the last 4 weeks he will launch himself at you and bite and will not let go even if he sees your bare feet when hes on the floor he literally runs at you with an open mouth and when I clench my fist so he can not get a grip he keeps going at me he wont give up, he doesnt huff that much and I can pick him up easily but show him some skin and he will bite, hold on and make a sucking noise till he draws blood !! have I got a vampire hog ??? hes 6months

· Registered
3 Posts
I think I got really lucky my little girl Jasmine she is an 8 week old african pygmy, I've had her for a week today and she absolutely loves snuggle time. I have a towel that I always use, I haven't washed it since I got her (she hasn't soiled it or anything) but she loves it she gives it a good sniff and burrows herself into it on my tummy. Tonight she started splatting and purring and even let me rub her behind the ears and a little bit on her face. I've made sure to handle her everyday and reward her with mealies I think it helps a lot, she also seems to like it when I play music with good instrumentals and she loves it when I sing to her she makes cute little noises and nudges me with her nose. <3

161 - 180 of 188 Posts