Hedgehog Central banner
141 - 160 of 188 Posts

· Registered
69 Posts
I understand that this thread is old, I still thinking posting here will help future readers. Also this thread is a sticky, so I don't think it will get as lost in the shuffle.

I've only had Skullmageddon for a little over three weeks now. So far he is still adjusting. slowly biting me less and less, and only biting if my hands are near him when something wakes him up.

I've learned that he likes to snuggle in my armpit an pretend the whole world is not real. He will sleep on or around me for hours. I've had him out for four hours while sewing, and he was sleeping the whole time.

So far, it doesnt matter who he is on so long as he can get under a blanket and sleep.

I will be honest, I would love it if he was awake with me a bit more often, but this is still his first month, he's still getting used to the schedule we have here and I just don't want to stress him out. So I'd rather let him sleep, and someday he'll wake up and maybe want to play. I mean play, not wake up and try to steal my sweater. If not thats ok, he's so cute. Every time I see him I love him so much!

The one time he did want to run around and play for a while, was just after a bath.
Even if I stay up as late as I can, he will sleep on me, but if I put him back, he will play in his cage and use his wheel. So I think hes still a little nervous too, Like if he sleeps it will go away.

· Registered
1 Posts
Oh wow this post is extremely helpful! I recently got my mom a hedgie, and I guess we expected them to be very affectionate animals, but this post made me realize my hedgie is very affectionate already! His name is Quilleran, and he loves to snuggle, and sleep on us! Of course I don't think he gets to do it as often as he wants, because he does have to sleep in his cage sometimes, haha. Anyway, just stopping in to say thank you to all who contributed their thoughts and experiences!

· Registered
3 Posts
new hedgehog owner

i recently got my first hedgehog almost 2 weeks ago she is around 3 month old, i am just wondering if it is normal for them to sleep when ever u are handeling them? every time i handle her she just curls up on my hand or chest and passes out

· Registered
146 Posts
I think people think that they are always happy. But to me, I love it when Shelby is crabby and happy, because in reality, people are like that too. Sometimes we are grumpy and just have bad days like hedgehogs do.

It does take a while for them to get used to people because Shelby is almost 6 months and she's just know getting used to me and showing me affection. She trusts me. Not all hedgehogs are like that like Kalandra said though. I think I just got lucky with her. It's either that or I must be doing something right! Shelby is my first hedgehog so it's not like I know how to tame them even more to where they show affection.

· Registered
2 Posts
Thanks a lot for posting this. I just got a hedgehog recently and he displays a lot of the behaviors you mentioned. Actually, he sounds a lot like Riley! I was a little worried about him because he seems so terrified of everything. But I feel like I understand him a little better after reading this!

· Registered
313 Posts
This thread should be mandatory reading for everyone even considering adding a hedgehog to the family, and every one of those cute You Tube videos with loving, interactive hedgies should have a disclaimer: "They don't come like this, you have to work for it". This thread is excellent.

· Registered
403 Posts
Reading through all of these responses has really prepared me as well as I think someone can be prepared for a new hedgie.
I don't care if I get a cuddler or an explorer. Yes, I will be disappointed if my hedgehog never wants to even be touched, but I will love her just the same! I just want to give her a good life and make sure she is always safe and happy!

· Registered
1 Posts
My hedgehog, Rolo, used to huff at me whenever I would walk into the room. When I got him, just over a year ago, he wasn't used to being handled at all. When I tried to pick him up to take him out of his cage, he immediately balled up in my hands. I held him until he felt it was safe enough to uncurl. Ever since I hold him at least once every two days. He seems to have grown used to me handling him and loves to climb onto my shoulder and plays with my Labrador/Border Collie mix, Shadow. Now Rolo is completely comfortable with me coming and going and barely flinches when I open his cage door. He loves to spend time running around in the grass on a sunny day (I live in Texas so it's usually pretty moderate and he's never unsupervised.)

· Registered
1 Posts
I've recently and unexpectedly became the owner of a hedgehog. I took him from an abusive owner and he is extremely agressive. He doesn't let anyone touch him and he bites Whenever someone tries. This poor little guy is traumatized by his past and I want him to have a happy future. Any advice on how to make him less agressive?

· Premium Member
12,071 Posts
Just be very patient with him and try not to have any expectations. Give him LOTS and lots of time. Take him out every night. You can protect your hands with a fleece blanket if he's trying to bite you when you do. Don't push him on being pet or interacting with you at first. Just take him out, let him snuggle up into a blanket in your lap, and do something else. This may go for weeks. As he starts to calm down and realize you're okay, you can start offering treats (not from your fingers - use chopsticks or plastic tweezers) and see if he'll take them from you to further reinforce that you're a good thing.

Move slowly around him. Speak quietly, try to keep the environment as low-key as you can. Dim lights, light background noise, etc.

Hopefully with time he'll start to relax with you, but don't expect that he may ever become a very friendly or calm hedgehog. He may always stay defensive, not like being pet, etc. It'd be understandable if he doesn't. Just give him time and love and see what happens.

· Registered
137 Posts
I LOVE this post.
When I got Layla, she was 2 months old and rather shy, but friendly when taken out to play. I tried socializing her and handling her a ton when she was a baby so that hopefully she's be friendlier as an adult. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case. Layla doesn't seek me out when "playing", or when I let her run around out of her cage, except to hide under my legs or something if there's no other furniture around for her to hide under. She will 100% of the time, no matter what time it is, be in a ball, quills up, huffing and occasionally clicking when I get her out of her cage. I cannot touch her for minutes afterwards (or make any noise or move haha) until she decides to go exploreon Her own. She is not interested in cuddling, and only seeks me out if it's to chew on me and then anoint herself haha. To many new hedgehog owners this may seem like a "grumpy" hog. This is why I love this thread. Layla is not grumpy- she's just a hedgehog. Hedgehogs are not dogs and we are not their "master" or even a doting figure to them. Sometimes owners need to appreciate the little things. Like for instance, Layla allows me to hold her (after she's had due time to "wake up") but never allows any other member of my family or friends to. This may seem like a small thing to be able to even hold your pet, but it can be a big thing for hedgehogs.

Reactions: nikki

· Registered
91 Posts
When I first got Beasty she had been bounced around a lot and showed all the shy defensive behaviors. The way I built my bond with her is I started bringing her out to play on my bed, letting her sniff, tunnel, play as she saw fit. By accident one late afternoon we fell asleep and had a long nap when I woke up she was curled up behind my knees, it's the first real bonding we did & our naps became routine as the weeks went on she started stretch out like a cat with her furry little belly pressed against any exposed skin she could find. The trust that was built has led to other amazing things and trust builds every day, now when I come home from work and she hears me, she comes out and waits for me to get her for a nap in the bed. I also leave my TV on low all the time when I'm gone so noise isn't an issue now. I've gently tried to acclimate her into my life and have been mindful of her sensitivity. I hope this helps anyone out there who is having bonding issues. My little hog hasn't had much stability so if she can adapt I think there is hope for all.

· Registered
7 Posts
Super informative!
We just got a hedgehog (adopted) and are trying to build a bond with him (my fiancé and I), all in all I just want the little guy (Frank) to feel relaxed, even if we never get to the point of cuddling like some hedgies do, that's OK, but just want him to not get so stressed
If you or anyone has any advice, please read and let me know!! :))))
http://www.hedgehogcentral.com/foru...our/107650-scared-puffing-huffing-noises.html

· Registered
2 Posts
I feel very relieved reading this entire thread. I have been feeling down the last couple of days because I took it personal and thought my Honeybun "hated me" :( I now realize that she is behaving the way she is due to quilling. I've had her for almost four weeks now, and I have tired multiple treats, bedding, and houses to make her feel more comfortable. Honestly, this baby is pretty spoiled haha. She runs from me also, but it's funny at times. She will freeze and stop doing whatever she's doing when I enter the room. Then I'll walk over to her cage and greet her and she'll bury her head in her blankie. Then I'll duck and be out of her sight, but still where I can see her. She'll poke her head out to look for me and figure out where I am. We'll do this for what seems like forever and then and only then that's when I'm able to pick her up. She likes to be cuddled by my chest, but not into a ball. She loves my bed and tolerates when I touch her under her ears and her neck. I think so many new owners have seen YouTube videos of extremely sociable and friendly hogs where we assumed they were all like that. Still, I love her all the same and I am so happy she's part of my family now.

· Registered
9 Posts
I remember a year ago when I first got my albino baby, Prince. He was the last of his litter and the loner of a litter of hedgehogs brought to a pet store. I actually didn't see him in his enclosure because he was buried in the bedding of the cage, but I asked to see him anyway. The lady at the store told me that I would probably want to wait until the next shipment because this particular hedgie wasn't too social and he never came out of his ball for others to greet him. Without having done any research, I took the trembling, hissing, popping, quilled creature into my hands. He was very prickly, so I had to hold him with the cloth that the associate picked him up with. She told me the same story, "He's anti social, and he doesn't like human interaction. He always balls up and hisses that he doesn't want to come out. He rarely bites, but he is just against human interaction so much that he is just not a very viable pet." I was shocked. I held him in my hands and gently blew on his nose like the store associates had, and he absolutely hated it. He balled up and hissed and popped. In about ten minutes, I had felt out what was a wrong move with him and what wasn't. Touching his quills was a no no. He hated having his quills stroked , and he remained balled so I couldn't touch his fuzzy belly. I started giving him what I now call "mommy pats," and I held him close to me and just very gently bounced him like a baby with NY fingers. During this process, I started to see his nose, and then he balled up again with the amount of intrigued children that had gathered around me. I began to wonder if those screams and giggles are what made him "antisocial."
I spoke to the associate, and learned that he was nearly past his age limit for the pet store, and that he would be impossible to introduce to another group of hedgies because he was a male, and they fight. I pondered what his future would be like, and I shrugged with chills when the associate made me aware that he would be eunthanized if he hadn't sold soon.
At first, I thought it was a hopeless cause, but I was determined to save this little fella from certain death. I wasn't sure what I was getting myself into, and I wanted just a few more minutes with this tiny life in my hands. I started to walk around the pet store, and I asked the associate what types of food that they ate and which bowls to get for him. She said "he isn't your average hedgehog ma'mm. Are you sure you don't want to wait for the next batch?" To be honest, I would be done with vacation in a week, and I thought this guy deserved a chance. I lifted him up to my eyes and said "Comon little guy. I want to see that precious face you're hiding." The woman seemed to want to take him back to his solitude. I still gave him momma pats, and ten minutes later he had unballed and was gnawing on the embroidery on my sweater. Right then, I knew he was for me, and I handed over my last 300 dollars for him and all of his supplies. I held him every single day and gently spoke to him. Today, he is still a bit shy, but I have fallen in love with his grumpy disposition and I couldn't picture myself without him. I had no idea what I was getting myself into as a hedgie momma, but I did it. I committed myself, and I think more people need to do research and understand their nature before committing, because without knowledge, you are only partially committing.
A year later, I have two Mr. Prickles. Lol. I spent over twelve hours on the road for my second one, and he is my little fatty. I'm still learning a lot, but my hedgies bring me so much joy, and I embrace their very different personalities.

· Registered
19 Posts
I read this post last night and I've come back with a bit of a rant, brilliant post btw I just wish people would really think before purchasing any animal but especially a hedgehog, its not a jaggy guinea pig. Anyway I watched a video on Facebook of hedgehogs "being cute", totally unrealistic and not actually entirely in the hedgehogs interests ( head stuck in toilet roll holders, on its back in a bath, filming it on its back trying to get on its feet ). All the comments say something along the lines of "cute! I want one now!".

Sorry this has really annoyed me! And breathe.....

· Registered
6 Posts
I am a new hedgehog owner (2 weeks, 2 days in) and I am so very glad to read all this advice. I did a lot of reading and research prior to bringing Hedgewig home and I really did not fully understand how long it takes for a hedgehog to get use to his new home and people and other critters. I thought I was doing something wrong, honestly.

But now I know its patient, persistence, and sticking as close to a schedule as life allows. And watching for those little signs that says he is relaxing.

I am happy with the baby steps he and I are making - he curls up and huffs and hiss at me, but its taking less and less time for him to uncurl and lay down his quills. He does click and pop, but then he pokes his head up to look at me and starts snuffling and exploring.

Thank you so much for providing a place where I can read up on my new family member and share stories and pics.

· Registered
4 Posts
My hedgehog is a genius at escaping!

Hi, can someone give me advice on how to stop my hedgehog Spiky from escaping from his box?
My mom says I should interact with him, but I don't know how.
Whenever I try to carry/touch him (with gloves, of course) he just rolls into his spike ball and scares me.
What am I supposed to do?
Please help!

141 - 160 of 188 Posts