Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a first time hedgehog owner. I have had Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle not even two weeks yet. I got her from a pet shop (I know now that it's not the best idea, but what's done is done).

When I first got her she was the friendliest little thing. She hardly ever rolled into a ball. She was crawling all over me and was very interested in all that was going on around her.

Now she's becoming a little more skittish. She's still friendly. She's never tried to bite or do anything more than just prickle up. But she has started "jumping" at me or anyone else who tries to pet her.

She also seems to be sleeping a lot more.

Her poop is normal and I've been feeding her the same food she was getting at the shop, but I'm not free feeding her. I've been measuring out what I give her at night so I can keep track of how much she's eating. She's also gained about an ounce (she's just under 8oz now) since she's come home. We live in Florida and keep our house at 75 degrees normally, so I think she should be warm enough. On colder nights, I have a warmer that I put in her bed with her.

I thought she may be "quilling", but I don't know exactly how old she is. The pet shop owner thought she was about 8 weeks when I got her, so that would make her about 10 weeks now.

I guess I'm wondering if this is all normal or if I should be worried about her. I realize I haven't had her two weeks yet, but I want to make sure she's okay.

Thank you for any suggestions!

Tiffany

·
Registered
336 Posts
It sounds to me like she is quilling. Just be extra gentle when you handle her, and if she seems super uncomfortable, you can give her a warm oatmeal bath.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is kind of what I was thinking too. Would it be better to leave her alone? Or should I keep getting her out and just holding her/letting her walk on me, but not petting her so much?

Thank you!

Tiffany

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
You definitely want to still handle her, just make it as pain-free as you can. Avoid petting too much, or putting pressure on the quills in general. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm glad to know that I can keep holding her. :D Just out of curiosity, how long should it be before I start to see quills? She's been acting like this for a couple of days, but I haven't found any quills yet.

Thank you!

Tiffany

1 - 7 of 7 Posts