Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, My name is Tabatha and we just got our new little family member yesterday. She is an african pygmy albino hedgehog. Her name is Rosie. We love her dearly and are so happy to have her as part of our family. I have done a lot of reading on Hedgehogs, but there is one thing that I can not find an answer to.

I am sensitive to the shavings in her cage (when her quills poke me, i break out and I sneeze around the shavings.) IS there anything else that I can use in her cage? I want her to be as happy and comfy as possible. :p

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Many here use fleece liners, myself included. Makes for a nice decorated cage, and very easy to clean. If you do a search(located upper right corner) for fleece liners, you will find threads about them. You can also search for litter and bedding as well.
Though here's a thread about liners to get you started ^_^
http://www.hedgehogcentral.com/foru...472&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=fleece+liner

I use fleece liners, and then I have a litter pan for my boy, where I use a litter called Yesterday's News. And there are many here who use fleece liners, and then put a paper towel under the wheel to catch dripping urine, as wheels get used for hours every night.

As for the poking and breaking out, it will happen for awhile. Sometimes, when I get poked with quills, I'll get a small red bump, but it goes away in about an hour. It is something you slowly get used to.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you that will help SO much!!! I will be getting one of those ASAP. She uses her litter box wonderfully!! I am so in love! What a simple sweet little pet we have gained!!

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
hedgiemom said:
Hi everyone, My name is Tabatha and we just got our new little family member yesterday. She is an african pygmy albino hedgehog. Her name is Rosie. We love her dearly and are so happy to have her as part of our family. I have done a lot of reading on Hedgehogs, but there is one thing that I can not find an answer to.

I am sensitive to the shavings in her cage (when her quills poke me, i break out and I sneeze around the shavings.) IS there anything else that I can use in her cage? I want her to be as happy and comfy as possible. :p
Hey and welcome to HHC :D
Congrats on your new hedgie :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the welcome! I was so happy to find a place where I could meet other hedgehog owners and be able to ask questions :D !!

speaking of which I had one more...with the fleece liner will i need to clip her nails so that they do not get caught? and whats the best way of going about this??

·
Registered
65 Posts
Nails will need to be trimmed regularly to prevent them from growing into their paws and/or getting caught on things. I use a pair of small nail clippers to trim my hedgies' nails. I find it works best during bath time/ footie bath time because they are less likely to roll into a ball. Just be sure to pay attention to the quick, but if you do accidently trim them too short you can use cornstarch, flour, or a styptic pen/powder to stop the bleeding. If you have a hedgie who is throwing a fit over it, trim only a few at a time then come back to it or have someone help you. Good luck, welcome, and CONGRATS on your new family member!!! :D

-Amanda

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Congrats once again. Just wanted to mention that styptic powder is thought to sting pretty bad. (same with any quick stop that you get at a pet store). Flour (or the other alternatives amanda mentioned) is not supposed to hurt and stops bleeding pretty effectively (when I cut the claw too short I just dip the whole paw in a small container of flour I keep with the clippers).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts