Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I am hoping to soon purchase my first Hedgie. I have a good sized Guinea Pig cage. I was wondering what I should use for bedding. I want something that is easy to clean and cheap. I was thinking on putting some newspaper down and then putting Vellox (Spelling? Lol) blanket over it. That way I can just take my hedgie out everyday and toss the blanket in the washer and dryer and put it back. BUT I am worried about my hedgie eating the blanket. Any one got any ideas?

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I wouldn't do the newspaper even with the blanket cause it gets cold and wet and doesn't dry well. You can use fleece fabric or fleece blankets and then you wouldn't need to use any extra bedding and would be able to wash them when dirty. If you are worried about the absorbancy you can always sew the fleece with multiple layers. Some people will do something absorbant in the middle of those kinda liners like cotton or flannel and then havee the outside layers fleece. I use single layered fleece and it works good for mine. The fleece would be better too cause Vellux and a stringy mesh holding it togethor if I remember right and bits can come off.

Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
244 Posts
No. I've never heard of a hedgie that ate fleece. Atleast not if its a whole liner not lil' bits. They might anoint with it but I doubt she'll attempt to eat it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
:lol:, when hedgies annoint they chew on something and make a frothy saliva from it and spread it on there back. No one knows exactly why somethink its cuz they like it and want to smell like it. others think they put it on their backs to camouflage their own smell to smell like the environment, to protect themselves from preditors. Sometimes the saliva makes you itchy. If you pick up a hedgie that has just self anointed it might give your hands a itchy rashy feeling afterwards, which is normal, i guess. Even after Pinchita annoints I don't really notice any itchiness :) But some do...
here is a vid of a hedgie self anointing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtCsqJ0P ... re=related
hope i helped some :D

·
Registered
244 Posts
No, licking is normal. sry im being confusing :oops:
self-anointing is natural behavior that all hedgies do. Some barely do it, while others do it w/ everything! lol If he anoints its nothing to be worried about. certain things they annoint w/ calls for a bath. as long as they don't chew and swallow, then its fine

1 - 8 of 8 Posts