Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Right now I’m using fleece to line my hedgehogs cage but I hate it because it is hard to clean and super smelly.. I want to change beddings but I’m not sure to which one ..
I can’t use CareFresh/clean and cozy because I’m allergic to the dust, and I know cedar is super bad.
I bought this huge bag of pine shavings from petco but I’ve read some health issues with pine. Should I still use it?
I’ve also heard rabbit pellets being used? can someone please help me out here?
I’m just looking for a dust free absorbent bedding.
Thank you very much! : )

·
Registered
8 Posts
Im also pretty curious about bedding for my hedgehog. Ive researched the cardboard bedding. It seems pretty good. Im using pine shavings with Peggy right now with no problems so far, but I might switch too.

·
Registered
335 Posts
You mentioned on an earlier post that your current cage is on the small side and you are considering making a larger one. If your cage is small, that could explain why you are having difficulty with the fleece -- smaller cages tend to get smellier more quickly regardless of what type of bedding is used.

I use fleece for my hedgehog and it is super easy. It takes a couple weeks (or more) before I can begin to smell anything. Of course I still clean the wheel every day and I have a litter tray under the wheel.

But the fleece itself couldn't be easier for me...just something to consider.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I too use fleece, and i have never noticed a smell. If your cage is on the smaller side, how long are you waiting before cleaning it? and how exactly are you cleaning it?

I'd wonder if youre not perhaps changing it frequently enough (smaller cages will get dirtier quicker, and need more regular cleaning) or if theres something amiss with how youre washing it and its not getting washed thoroughly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm wondering how big everyone's cage is. I use fleece in my guy Teo's 24x47 enclosure. Yesterday's News as litter. I spot-clean every day, including fully cleaning the wheel, and usually change out fleece strips and soft toys (inside his igloo and digbox, etc.) 2 or 3 times a week. But I also notice a smell.

BUT. Teo is in a pretty small room since we moved a month ago. I keep the door closed so no other pets bother him (and one cat is sick). At our old house, he was upstairs in the loft part of a huge open cathedral room. So maybe it's not a bad smell and it's just that before there was no smell at all. My son, whose bathroom open to Teo's space, seems a bit put off by the Yesterday's News smell. But until he pointed it out to me, I thought it was neutral to nice (paper smell!).

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have been using baby changing pad liner (Amazon, 5/pk) as a full cage liner and putting half a Hartz disposable cage liner under my hog’s wheel to catch pee and poop. I switch out the disposable liner each day and the changing pad 2x week. I like it better than messy shredded bedding.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Forgot to mention the baby changing pad liners are washable. I also have a Hamilton Beach Trueair plug in odor eliminator which really helps with odor. It has a replaceable charcoal filter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
When I first got my hedgehog, frito, I was using fleece lining too. I had some of the same problems. Hard to clean, started to smell pretty quick, and he kept moving the fleece to run around underneath it at night. After asking the vet about it, he recommended paper bedding. I’ve noticed it helped with the smell and Frito seems to like it more than the fleece. He likes playing in it and searching for buried toys. Haven’t had any problems with the paper bedding since I switched.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for all the help, and sorry for coming back to you all so late. 😅
I have switched to pine (for now, as i threw out my super dirty/used fleece and have nothing else), and ill soon switch again to paper or cardboard. I'm getting a custom cage built for her, metal with glass and screen sides and screen top, metal frame. (I have the heating and ventilation all figured out.) Its going to be 28 x 24. Thanks again for all the advice!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Thank you for all the help, and sorry for coming back to you all so late. ��
I have switched to pine (for now, as i threw out my super dirty/used fleece and have nothing else), and ill soon switch again to paper or cardboard. I'm getting a custom cage built for her, metal with glass and screen sides and screen top, metal frame. (I have the heating and ventilation all figured out.) Its going to be 28 x 24. Thanks again for all the advice!
Did you mean 28 inches by 24 inches? That would only be half the recommended minimum.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I use pine bedding. Lots of people talk about health issues with this, but I have had no problems. I also only have to change the bedding once a month because my hedgehog is trained to go to the bathroom only on her wheel and the litter box, so the bedding stay very clean. She loves to burrow in the bedding and would be extremely sad if I switched to fleece. I love pine because it's inexpensive and very low dust. I would highly recommend it! I use Pets Pick Pine bedding, available at Walmart and Amazon, and other places but I'm not sure of at the moment. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Unless the cage is too small or you dont clean it enough, fleece should work pretty good. I have used it for small animals for 2 years, and I still think it is the cheapest and cleanest option available.
Tractor Supply Co sells huge bags of "horse bedding" for really cheap. and if you are sure that fleece is not for you, that would also be a cheap alternative .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts