Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my hedgehog Edmund has never gotten the hang of litter training. I have read all the guides on these forums and elsewhere and tried all of the tips, and I tried especially harder when he was younger, but I'm pretty resigned to the fact that he is just going to poop all over the place. I currently use some homemade liners on the bottom of his cage, but I'm wondering if that's the best solution given his idea of cleanliness. I pick up after him and deposit his poop in his litter box, so I try to keep it clean. Nonetheless, it gets pretty messy in his cage quick despite my best efforts and his feet are always dirty. I have to switch out the liner every couple of days.

I know people are really into liners here, but is there maybe another kind of bedding that might be better for Edmund? Has anyone else had this problem themselves? I was just wondering if some sort of bedding might be a little more absorbent or something, maybe even on top of the liner. Any ideas that might make it easier to keep him clean would be much appreciated.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My liners actually are flannel inside of corduroy so they hold up pretty well. I also don't mean to say that I mind having to clean, I just worry that it's probably not the best for him to be walking through his poop all of the time like he does now despite my best efforts.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For the most part it's normal, though his poop can be runny sometimes. It's easy enough to scoop up but it still leaves some despite my best efforts. And yes, I do give him foot baths fairly often.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No worries, didn't take it as such. I don't think it's a dietary thing, his diet is pretty constant. He just tends to get stressed out pretty easily, which is I think the main culprit.

He likes to dig and burrow a lot, so I'm starting to think a thin layer of bedding over my liner might be the best and easiest way to go. He might even enjoy it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.