Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my hedgehog Edmund has never gotten the hang of litter training. I have read all the guides on these forums and elsewhere and tried all of the tips, and I tried especially harder when he was younger, but I'm pretty resigned to the fact that he is just going to poop all over the place. I currently use some homemade liners on the bottom of his cage, but I'm wondering if that's the best solution given his idea of cleanliness. I pick up after him and deposit his poop in his litter box, so I try to keep it clean. Nonetheless, it gets pretty messy in his cage quick despite my best efforts and his feet are always dirty. I have to switch out the liner every couple of days.

I know people are really into liners here, but is there maybe another kind of bedding that might be better for Edmund? Has anyone else had this problem themselves? I was just wondering if some sort of bedding might be a little more absorbent or something, maybe even on top of the liner. Any ideas that might make it easier to keep him clean would be much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Some people that make liners put flannel in between two pieces of fleece to make more absorbent liners. But it's normal to have to change liners out every couple of days, very few hedgies are clean enough to allow a liner to stay in the cage for a whole week before changing. I change Lily's every third day, and she's not litter trained. Then again, she usually does most of her business on the wheel/in front of the wheel...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My liners actually are flannel inside of corduroy so they hold up pretty well. I also don't mean to say that I mind having to clean, I just worry that it's probably not the best for him to be walking through his poop all of the time like he does now despite my best efforts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For the most part it's normal, though his poop can be runny sometimes. It's easy enough to scoop up but it still leaves some despite my best efforts. And yes, I do give him foot baths fairly often.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I wondered if the stool was softer because both with Dora and Millie (the only experience I have) the messiest their cage was after loose stools. I felt horrible a couple of nights ago because I introduced a soft food to Dora as a treat that gave her a very upset stomach. Is there a pattern with the loose stool? Could it be a dietary problem?

No knocks intended when I asked about the foot bath. I sometimes miss the forest for the trees ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No worries, didn't take it as such. I don't think it's a dietary thing, his diet is pretty constant. He just tends to get stressed out pretty easily, which is I think the main culprit.

He likes to dig and burrow a lot, so I'm starting to think a thin layer of bedding over my liner might be the best and easiest way to go. He might even enjoy it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ahh. That may work. We haven't used bedding in a while but do add some fleece strips for them to "play" in. The only problem I've saw with fleece strips in the cage is them ending up in the water bowl and then Dora trying to sleep in wetness. Her cage is smaller though. Millie has fleece strips in her super condo and loves them and doesn't strew them over to the water at all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts