Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
So i have a relatively young male who is quite the burrower and loves to be nice and cosy. I currently am using pine bedding which he enjoys and has no current health problems, though i don't want to have to worry about any, and bedding is expensive. Do you think that switching to liners would make him feel unprotected and angry/sad because he has no where to go? The way he plays is by burrowing underneath the bedding in circles around his cage, so i am hesitant to switch to liners.

Just looking for thoughts on HOW beneficial liners are and options to provide burrowing opportunities while still using liners, or using both? Let me know! Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Most people that use liners also use hedgie bags, hedgie hats, igloos, or a combination of the three. Even when using shavings as a bedding material you should have a hidey place like an igloo or a bag for them.

The first month after switching Quillbert over to liners he tried to burrow under the fabric, and sometimes succeeded. Some people use velcro or weights to keep the hedgehog from burrowing under. I myself use several clean, dense rocks and provide two hiding places, a hedgie bag if he gets hot, and an igloo with a hedgie bag inside if he gets cold. Some people put fleece strips inside their igloo so that the hedgie can dig, but my boy is so messy that this isn't really an option for me. He doesn't seem to mind the lack of burrowing opportunities anymore. I have also heard some people say that they have a sandbox made from a small tupperware container filled with playground quality sand. I don't know how well this works, however.

If you can't make your own liners, bags, or hats then you should check out the "For Sale" board. Several members make and sell kits that are custom fitted to the size of your cage. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I know what a lot of people do is have piles of scraps of fleece that the hedies love to burrow into, usually in the hedgie's hideaway (Your hedgie should have at least one hideaway, be it an igloo, hat, hedgie bag etc.. where they can sleep and feel secure.)

Liners are very beneficial. The only real expense is the initial cost of supplies to make them, or the cost of buying them from a maker. Other than that they are reusable and washable. Liners are also much healthier for hedgies as they do not harbor mites or have dust that might cause respiratory problems for a hedgie. Aesthetically, the liners look nicer and unlike bedding, do not get all over the floor when you open the cage.

·
Registered
90 Posts
When I switched to liners I also got some hedgie bags and hats for them to snuggle in. These are a huge hit with my hedgies!!! Out of my 3, 2 are always in a hedgie bag and they use the hedgie hats occasionally. One of my girls likes sleeping under the liner though, I let her be as she seems most comfortable this way and does it without toppling the items in her cage (dishes, wheel, litter tray).

I started out with aspen shavings and switching to liners has been a excellent move for me and the girls. So much faster to clean up and nicer look to the cages too (Nancy's liners are most excellent!).

If you have a hedgie that likes to burrow a lot, you can put strips of fleece in they're home (igloo, pigloo, box, etc) for them to get comfy. My rescue girl Faith likes this, I put a bunch of fleece strips in her igloo and she arranges them to her liking. She sleeps in that half the time, the other half of the time I will find her snuggled into a hedgie bag :)

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Quigley likes to burrow too. For a while he did this in his litter box which was filled with yesterday's news but since he was not using it as a litter box and I did not want to buy more bedding when the bag ran out I just started putting fleece scraps inside a kleenex box. I usually cut off the end of the kleenex box so he can go in it more easily but all that needs to be done is take all the plastic off.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I buy the holiday decorated kleenex boxes, the cube-shaped stand up ones and I have 1-inch fleece strips in them. I also have several blankets/scarves laying around their houses for them to rummage into.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stewie is extremely messy and tracks poop around on his feet because he uses his wheel as a restroom so i am afraid that putting cloth in his igloo would just stink and not help out.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Breeanne said:
Stewie is extremely messy and tracks poop around on his feet because he uses his wheel as a restroom so i am afraid that putting cloth in his igloo would just stink and not help out.
ah, that's what I like about the cloth is I can see if they are dirty and throw them in the wash. I think all hedgies get the "poop boots". Mine sure do. I have a stack of bedding in their room to change out their potty-tray liners and extra blankies if theirs are looking ick before the weekly house cleaning. So far fleece strips in kleenex box is a hit with Whyte and my other guy wants his big blankets to rummage into. (I rarely find Whyte in his blanket, funny how every hedgehog has their own preferences)

I'm sure with some observation, trial and error, you will learn what yours prefer. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts