Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just wondering what kind of bedding everybody uses for their hedgies. I've been using the shredded Aspen little wood chip things that my local pet store recommended but my hedgehog hates it. He digs it out of all of his favorite places. There's absolutely none in his hideout, none in front of his wheel, and none around his food. I've seen some people use blankets and such but how does that work with all of the poop? Do you just take it out and wash it? Let me know what you use.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
The most popular bedding choice on this forum is liners, the blankets you mentioned. Wood can have mites in it that infests hedgies, along with sometimes causing allergies (in humans or hedgies), and can get stuck in sensitive areas, which is why a lot of people recommend against it, unless necessary (like for mommies & babies). Liners are great, they can be washed and reused, they don't carry allergy risks (most of us use scent- & dye-free detergent and softeners), there's no risk of mites or causing slivers or anything, and they're neater.

You do have to change them often, depending on your hedgie. Mine is pretty neat, so I usually only change once a week. Sometimes you may have to change them every other day or so, if your hedgie is messy or is still a baby and poops a lot. You just take them out, shake them off over the trash in the yard, and wash them. You can spot-clean them by picking off dried poop and throwing it away.

You can either make your own liners or buy them from some people on here, if you check out the For Sale section. Fabrics that are usually used are fleece, denim, flannel, and corduroy. Some people also use quilt batting or cloth diapers or something else that absorbs well as a middle layer. Just make sure if you sew them for multiple layers that the stitches are hidden, so they don't catch hedgie toes or nails. You can also use just a single layer of fleece (the edges don't unravel into dangerous threads that can wrap around legs) for liners, which is what I do.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I agree with LilysMommy, Fleece liners are the best choices for bedding. My hamster got mites from her bedding a while ago so i never used it for my hog. Fleece Liners also are softer and i think easier for hedgie to cuddle with :lol:

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
If your hedgie likes to burrow and dig (which is what it sounds like with the wood chips) then you can fill his bedroom with fleece strips. If you use another fabric, then you'd have to hem the edges so there's no loose threads. Hedgie nails have a way of finding loose threads.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts