Hedgehog Central banner

Baytril Question

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Artemis-Ichiro 
#1 ·
Hi all, this might be long but I want to get all the details down so I can hopefully figure out what is going on with my girl.

Last Wednesday my hedgie (1 year 9 mos) started having blood in her urine. Suspecting a UTI I took her to the vet on Friday. The vet felt her stomach, and didn't feel anything unusual. To be safe, she put her under and took some xrays. She didn't see kidney stones or any other issues. She told me her bladder was too small and she didn't want to risk a needle draw for a sample. She prescribed .07 cc of Baytril twice a day for 14 days. I have been syringe feeding it to hedgie and she actually likes it (thank god) and has given me no issue in terms of receiving her full dose each day. The blood in her urine has almost all gone away.

I noticed this morning that hedgie hadn't eaten yesterday (very rare, she is a piggy) and hadn't pooped either. Worried, I got her favorite baby food which she ate and anointed with this morning. I also gave her a bath and rubbed her belly to help her poop. She did, although it was small green pieces not her usually large healthy brown poop--I am guessing this is from the antibiotic?

I tried giving her more baby food tonight and she was having none of it. She keep popping out of her hut and going face down into her food bowl for her kibble but not eating anything. She has done this a couple of times, she seems curious and/or hungry but isn't touching the food. I put the baby food in her bowl thinking she might like to eat that but she didn't have any of that either. She is drinking and peeing fine.

My question is, is this a side effect from the Baytril? I know it can cause a loss of appetite in other animals, but not sure about hedgehogs. I want to make sure she is getting enough nutrients while under the weather!

See less See more
#2 ·
Yes, this can be a side effect of Baytril on a hedgehog, but that doesn't mean the Baytril isn't doing its job. I've heard some people recommend giving your hedgie acidolphilus (a probiotic) between doses of Baytril for your hedgie. If this gets far worse, contact your veterinarian and inform them of this. If your hedgehog does not eat anything at all, you may have to force feed your hedgehog so they don't starve. Hope this helps a bit!

#3 ·
Thank you for your reply. Luckily my hedgie resumed normal eating and pooping after I posted my question in a panic. I have now run the full course of antibiotics and my girlie, who had stopped bleeding for a day or two, resumed. I am guessing it may be a reproductive issue and not a UTI as originally thought by the vet?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.