Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Hedgie Sonic ( I know best name ever) He doesn't like baths. I put him in my sink and fill it up with warm water (not hot water), but unlike alot of hedgies he just doesn't like to take baths and won't try to float on his back, again many hedgies do this and enjoys baths. But I was wondering is there any way I can get him to like baths? :-?

·
Administrator
8,486 Posts
I would have to say about 99% of hedgehogs don't like baths. There really is nothing you can do to make him like it better. One thing is don't put to much water in the sink, only an inch or two. If the water is to deep they can panic and inhale water. Your hedgehog will probably never like baths and trying to make him float isn't a good idea.

·
Registered
498 Posts
It sounds like most of your hedgehog experience comes from Youtube. Hedgehogs generally do not naturally seek out water and definitely do not make themselves float. They are placed on their backs that way and most videos I've seen, they're quite stressed out. It makes for a cute photo but it is not a good way of caring for a hedgehog.

Hedgehogs also generally don't really need baths, not like dogs do. Their skin is naturally quite dry and sensitive, so you don't want to be bathing them unless necessary. Most people just run a few cms of water in the sink to help get the poop off their hedgehog's feet, but that's it.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Please stop watching youtube for animal care information - almost all of the videos on there are absolute garbage and have very dangerous advice. You'll be putting your hedgehog in danger if you continue to follow advice from these videos.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts