Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I'm just brought my home first hedgehog last night and I am new to the forum. My hedgehog, Ruby, seems to have been self-anointing quite frequently today. Also, she appears to have spent all last night in her wheel. It seems like she pooped a few times in it and then decided to go for a run. So, I now have a new hedgehog that is covered in saliva and poop. She's getting used to me and I'm still getting used to her, however I don't want to pick her up because she is so dirty. Should I give her a bath? I don't want that to cause even more stress on her than the drive home and new environment has. Should I use baby wipes on her? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
You could try doing a quick clean up with the unscented baby wipes and see if that tides her over til she's a little more settled. Once she gets settled in it won't be so bad cause she'll be able to get a bath. If she gets dirty to the point of being itchy though I'd probably try to zoom through a quick bath but wait for some more opinions just in case.

Cant wait to see pics :)

·
Registered
902 Posts
I'd give her a bath and then cuddle her to keep her warm afterwards. Mine are very cuddly after a bath.

Don't bathe too frequently as they will get dry skin but if its really needed for you to enjoy her right now I'd say go ahead. You'll have to get used to the poopy-boots eventually, its part of owning a hedgie. (a not-so-favorable part) The annointing doesn't bother me but it really grosses out my daughter, she'll immediately put them away if they do it.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about the annointing bit of it, but I can see why you're a bit iffy on the poopboots. If you don't want to stress her out with a full bath right now, you can give her a foot bath to help get the poop off her feet. Just fill a container, sink, or tub with an inch or so of warm water, and let her walk around in it to help loosen it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I ended up sticking her in the bath and she didn't seem to mind. Got the poop off her feet and then used a wet towel to wash the rest of her body. I'm glad everything went so well!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I wouldn't bathe the hedgie too much. I do mine every 2 weeks. I usually try to give him a veyr quick bathe every time I clean the cage just so I am not putting a dirty hedgie in a clean cage. You can give foot baths.... just fill the sink a tad and stick him in there to wash the poop off the feet. I noticed when I had mine as a baby he would itch a lot because I would wash him a lot. It dried out his skin bad. When they are babies they poop more and get dirtier.... so I can understand. I couldnt even sleep in the same room as Egon because the smell was so bad as a baby... now its nothing

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Heh.... I don't bath mine for months. Last time I gave him a bath with actual soap is.....some time last year :lol:

I DO however, give foot baths every 2 weeks or so(my boy has very clean feet), mostly just when I clip his nails. While I do that, I also just give him a bit of an oil rinse with a flax seed capsule. That's about the extent of his "bath". Guess I'm lucky with a clean boy :mrgreen:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.