Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! I just finished setting up Basch's new cage. I still have to build the stand and the lid. It is undergoing heat testing right now, as I want to make sure the CHE is working properly with the new thermostat. Anyway, here are the pics! ^_^

ps I threw a pic of Basch during play pen time in too because, well, he's too stinkin' cute!! ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
His playtime is super-cute.

The cage looks great, since you already mentioned the lid is under-construction.

Some hedgehogs are fine with bottles, others do better with bowls. Either way, make sure to give him fresh water each day, and track how much he drinks.

The covered sides may end up being a bit low if he keeps growing, or is determined to climb. At 9 months, he should be pretty-much adult-length (ish); I think the next 3 months is mostly him just bulking up after all the growth-spurts!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!! :D I am actually thinking about switching him to a water bowl as I noticed sometimes he keeps licking at the bottle for what seems like forever just to get the amount of water he wants. Basch is actually 3 months, the ticker I have is counting down to his b-day, so he is still pretty small right now. I will keep an eye on the side issue though! The nice thing about C&C cages are they are really customizable so I can always go back and make 12 inch sides. ^_^

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I was afraid of Basch climbing as well, so I bought 2 yards of clear 10 gauge vinyl. It was really cheap, $3.30 a yard, so after shipping it only cost me $12! I just cut enough of it to tuck it under the coroplast tray and hang it over the side of the grids, then snapped the connectors on over it. (I had been planning on using sofa covers but this vinyl is much sturdier and cheaper too!)

Here's the link if you are interested:

https://www.fabric.com/buy/ap-878/10-gauge-clear-vinyl

2 yards was exactly enough, so if you want some left over I suggest getting 3. ^_^

·
Registered
91 Posts
So I got that vinyl that Aether linked, and it came today in a big roll. @[email protected] 2 yards definitely is more than enough if anyone else is planning on getting vinyl from there.
I might just line my whole cage with this (my cage will be 1x4 or 1x3 due to space limitations) instead of getting coroplast. @[email protected]

·
Registered
658 Posts
Hey Aether! I was just curious, how is Basch doing with the vinyl? Has he been able to climb at all?

Just wondering because I caught my girl climbing the side of her C&C cage, and I was about to buy the vinyl until I thought of putting cardboard behind the coroplast. Any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey lilsurfergrlsp!

Basch is doing great with the vinyl. I've seen him stretch to reach the vinyl but his tiny paws just slip right down, so he gives up. I've only seen him try it a few times and so far so good! I haven't had any problems with it. My hubby was worried that the vinyl might melt due to the CHE, but it's not aimed directly at the sides of the cage. It has never felt too warm or too cold, it's just right! Kind of like Goldilocks and the three...hedgehogs. :lol:

Hm...cardboard behind the coro you say? The only issue I would foresee would be that it would likely get poopy if she starts to try to climb it with dirty feet. Which would mean you might have to replace it. Also, I'm not sure how it would be with your heat source. If you have a CHE, I would be careful not to aim it directly at any of the cardboard. Oh, and using cardboard might not be as aesthetically pleasing as vinyl or extra coro, but that's really up to you, since the hedgie won't care either way!

I've never used cardboard, so other than that I don't know what else to tell ya. Perhaps someone else on the forum has thought of it before. I would try searching on here to see if it's been discussed. =]

ps I see your hedgehog is named Tansy. Is it possible you are a Redwall fan?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Hey lilsurfergrlsp!

Basch is doing great with the vinyl. I've seen him stretch to reach the vinyl but his tiny paws just slip right down, so he gives up. I've only seen him try it a few times and so far so good! I haven't had any problems with it. My hubby was worried that the vinyl might melt due to the CHE, but it's not aimed directly at the sides of the cage. It has never felt too warm or too cold, it's just right! Kind of like Goldilocks and the three...hedgehogs. :lol:

Hm...cardboard behind the coro you say? The only issue I would foresee would be that it would likely get poopy if she starts to try to climb it with dirty feet. Which would mean you might have to replace it. Also, I'm not sure how it would be with your heat source. If you have a CHE, I would be careful not to aim it directly at any of the cardboard. Oh, and using cardboard might not be as aesthetically pleasing as vinyl or extra coro, but that's really up to you, since the hedgie won't care either way!

I've never used cardboard, so other than that I don't know what else to tell ya. Perhaps someone else on the forum has thought of it before. I would try searching on here to see if it's been discussed. =]

ps I see your hedgehog is named Tansy. Is it possible you are a Redwall fan?
Good to hear he's doing great with it! And thanks for adding the tip about the CHE, as I have one too - I was worried about it possibly melting the vinyl, but it's pretty much on top of the cage around the middle, pointed straight down, and not towards the sides.

I'm just concerned about the cardboard because I've heard some hedgies like to chew on it, plus if it gets wet, etc. I think I'll go with the vinyl and set up some cardboard until it arrives in the mail :grin: but thanks so much for the help!

And YES! I love Redwall! I actually dug through my old books and found my entire Redwall collection, which is part of the reason why I decided to get a hedgehog. I loved Abbess Tansy!! It's such a great series!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Glad to have helped! ^_^

YES!! When I saw her name I got so excited! I almost named my first hedgehog Tansy (went with Relm instead). The Pearls of Lutra was one of my favorite of the Redwall books. It's always nice to meet another fan! :lol:

·
Registered
91 Posts
It's so awesome hearing that Basch doesn't mind the vinyl and that it didn't melt. :lol: I need to start doing tests next month; I should be getting my first ever hedgie in April or so I hope. :D

Psst! Btw you two, I'm also a Redwall fan!!! 8D I haven't read them in ages so I didn't recognize Tansy sadly. ;w;
I need to reread them and buy the rest of the series. XD I think I only have up to Loamhedge and even then I'm missing around half the books. :(

·
Registered
658 Posts
It's so awesome hearing that Basch doesn't mind the vinyl and that it didn't melt. :lol: I need to start doing tests next month; I should be getting my first ever hedgie in April or so I hope. :D

Psst! Btw you two, I'm also a Redwall fan!!! 8D I haven't read them in ages so I didn't recognize Tansy sadly. ;w;
I need to reread them and buy the rest of the series. XD I think I only have up to Loamhedge and even then I'm missing around half the books. :(
Awesome! Redwall is such a great series, one that you can read over and over and they never get old. I need to expand my collection too, I never got to reading the ones about the badgers and pirates and such :grin:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.