Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hedgehog, Junie, has been suffering from dry skin for several months now. I've tried several remedies, including putting flax oil on her food (and I also tried applying a bit to the afflicted areas today, so maybe that will make a difference) and using Vitamin E oil. However, none of them seem to work. She doesn't have mines (no flaking around the quill area), but the skin under the quills on her face, her snout, and her paws are all dry. Her paws also have a yellowish crust. Could it possibly be the bedding? We use Kaytee Soft-Sorbent bedding, and I'm honestly thinking about switching.

So, what do you guys recommend as a proper treatment? I plan on taking her to our vet and seeing what they suggest if I can't find anything that works. Also, what kind of bedding do you guys use? Thanks so much in advance. :)

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I'm not very good at determining what such and such type of dry skin is, but it sounds like a fungal infection or some sort of allergy. (make sure you wait for Nancy or someone to come prove me wrong. :lol: ) While you are waiting, you can switch her onto liners, which can be fleece, flannel, vellux, etc. or just a pillow case. A bath would likely provide temporary relief - though if you are going to the vet within a few days, I wouldn't. If you wash off all the gunk they might have a hard time determining what it is.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
If it is an allergy switching to liners should help it. If it's the bedding causing it then it makes sense that it's her paws and face that seem the most effected. The skin on her back is somewhat protected from direct contact because of her quills.

·
Registered
151 Posts
My boy Winston had really dry skin, with the orange crust you mentioned on his feet as well! I got some sort of oil from the vet, I am at work so can't look at the name now, and it cleared it up within three weeks. He now has pretty decent skin! It was so dry they did a test for mites just in case, hahah. Poor guy. I can check the name of the stuff when I get home, his does was .01 ml three times per week, which is about 2-3 small drops. I put it on some crickets so I know he ate it :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.