Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, everyone. I have a seven week old hedgie baby, the love of my life, and he only seems to drink a little bit at night. He never drinks during the day or during feeding time. I am concerned that he is not getting enough hydration and I wanted to ask experienced hedgie owners how much water my baby should be drinking and what to do if he's not drinking enough. Please help! Thanks.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
How long have you had him? Does he know how to use the dish? Some hedgehogs are raised using water bottles and he may not know how to use it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had him for a week. He'll drink a little from the dish at night, he knows what its for. I just gave him a little water from a syringe and that worked out alright. Any idea how much he should be drinking? He's six/seven ounces. He eats plenty, just doesn't drink much.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Could measure the water before putting it in the dish, then measure how much is missing. "not much" isn't very easy to quantify. Could be plenty for him just doesn't seem like much to you. How's the pee? If peeing fine and normal color I wouldn't worry. If he's exercising and eating well I wouldn't obsess over the drinking.

I put a white liner under the wheels to catch the urine so in the morning I can see if normal light yellow color no blood. Just a suggestion if you are really concerned.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so much for the advice...this is why I wanted to know how much a seven ounce babe should be drinking. He does urinated a couple of times a day, that is a relief, but it is a dark yellow, like a human's when they are dehydrated.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
If it's dark, I'd be concerned that he is dehydrated. I would try syringing him a bit more until he drinks more on his own. He shouldn't be drinking so little that his urine is dark yellow. Maybe he's still just getting used to everything. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts