Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
It seems I'm the breeder in question here.

I need to let you know that I am in DAILY contact with this new hedgie family, and am giving them updates on their baby's weight. I am happy with her growth now. We began feeding Royal Canin Baby Cat, and supplementing with some puppy formula mixed with rice cereal and crushed kibble. The babies are growing and are doing marvelously. They are still small, but they are healthy and growing.

I contacted several breeder friends of mine when I first became concerned, and being the overly cautious person that I am, have held back another female from the litter, just in case. That is probably unnecessary, but I like to cover my bases!

I have several decent hedgehog vets in our immediate area that can do things like c sections, and the likes, if there are emergencies, but something different like this, if I felt it was becoming life threatening and super serious, I would want to take to the better vet, which is farther away. To have taken her there, could have been even worse due to stress from travel, being at the vet, and the amt. of time being away from mom, so, I did research with other hedgehog breeders to find out if they thought a visit was warranted. Unanimously, no one thought it was. The baby then began to gain more weight and seems fine in every other way, so we didn't go to the vet.

I appreciate the concern that my new hedgie family has for their baby. They will make wonderful, attentive hedgehog moms.

Helen Justis
http://www.sunshinequillhedgehogs.com

· Registered
23 Posts
Thanks everyone for your votes of confidence. Those were unsolicited! These babies are still here and I am keeping them longer until they are at a wieght when I feel they will do well on a long journey home and away from my watchful care. I've grown quite attached to these two babies...I'm so glad they are going to such wonderful homes where their new families will care for them so well. Yes, I do offer a health warrenty, and even will help with vet costs up to a certain point, if both the owner and I feel a vet visit is necessary in the first 3 months after baby has gone home. I've done that before, and would do it again. The baby is doing soooo well now, and is gaining weight beautifully. She is gaining 5 grams a day at LEAST. We're well under way now. I had just never seen such slow growth in a baby before. Now I know not to worry so much.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.