Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
334 Posts
Sometimes when hedgehogs come home at first they go on hunger strikes, the stress of moving to a whole new place with scents, sounds and just about everything else can be pretty overwhelming.
Some questions:
How long was you hedgehog not eating before you got KMR?
Are you feeding the same food your breeder was feeding, or did you go with a different brand?

If she only has one eye open, that would put her only a little bit older than two weeks! Unless there is something wrong with one of her eyes. And hair begins to grow on bellies and legs at about two weeks, and continues to grow in thicker until the fifth week. Some hedgehogs have thinner hair than others, though. Either way, I would highly suggest you bring her to a vet.

It is really important babies stay with mom for at least six weeks. If this "breeder" is selling babies too young, I would report her to the USDA!
If she really is as young as you think, is there any way you can contact a breeder in your area and have her fostered until she is old enough to come back to you?

· Registered
334 Posts
Oh my lord! She looks to be about two or three weeks old!
You want to also be sure she is warm enough, you might want to get a reptile heating pad to put under part of her cage, but be sure she has room to move so she doesn't get too hot.

It's illegal in a lot of places to sell baby animals before 8 weeks of age.
And it's definitely immoral to take a baby away from it's mother so young.

Please seriously consider reporting this "breeder" to the proper authorities (USDA). And if you don't want to I would be more than happy to if you PM this person's information to me.

What area are you in? Maybe there is someone close by that can offer you help.

Did this person have other babies for sale.

This is one hundred percent unacceptable.

· Registered
334 Posts
I would like to add, if you need help bringing your baby to a responsible breeder, I'm more than happy to be part of a transport train if there are none in your area.

· Registered
334 Posts
I'm glad you found someone to help you out! Definitely keep everyone updated.

And did you name her Chowder after the cartoon? I love Chowder :] And either way I love the name!!

· Registered
334 Posts
I'm glad the surrogate took to her.

Don't beat yourself up over this, it's not your fault at all, it's the breeders.

Keep us updated on Chowder's progress. I can't wait to see pictures of her all grown up!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.