Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently went to a breeder to get my first hedgie. He had me wait two weeks as he said they weren't ready to go yet because they weren't weaned. When I picked my hedgie he said it was perfectly fine and ready to go and was eating on its own. However I began to question this when my little hedgie has taken no interest in food. So worried I went and bought kitten replacement milk to feed her and she seems to enjoy that. Now I blame myself and my ignorance for taking the word of the breeder that she was six weeks old and ready to go. But I want to make sure she grows up to be a healthy happy hedgie. If anybody has any advice to help me care for her I would greatly appreciate it.And if anybody could actually help me figure out how old she is that would be helpful, she has her quills and whiskers on her face but no fur on her belly and one eye is barely open so any idea how long before she can eat on her own? Thanks also sorry for my typing I only have one hand to use as she is in the other one.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Sometimes when hedgehogs come home at first they go on hunger strikes, the stress of moving to a whole new place with scents, sounds and just about everything else can be pretty overwhelming.
Some questions:
How long was you hedgehog not eating before you got KMR?
Are you feeding the same food your breeder was feeding, or did you go with a different brand?

If she only has one eye open, that would put her only a little bit older than two weeks! Unless there is something wrong with one of her eyes. And hair begins to grow on bellies and legs at about two weeks, and continues to grow in thicker until the fifth week. Some hedgehogs have thinner hair than others, though. Either way, I would highly suggest you bring her to a vet.

It is really important babies stay with mom for at least six weeks. If this "breeder" is selling babies too young, I would report her to the USDA!
If she really is as young as you think, is there any way you can contact a breeder in your area and have her fostered until she is old enough to come back to you?

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Wow, she must only be about 3 weeks old if she has no belly fur. I'm glad you are giving her replacement milk. You can also get some Royal Canin Baby Cat. It is very small and my babies wean onto it. You can also crush it up for her.

Would you post a picture of her?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The breeder I got her from was feeding them kitten food and I tried that and she showed no interest so I bought her hedgehog food and still no interest I waited a day until I got her the milk and she has been eating that regularly for a day About every four to six hours. The breeder I got her from is the only one near me and he was two hours away.I cant get her to the vet until monday.Here is a pic of her on her back

·
Registered
336 Posts
Oh my lord! She looks to be about two or three weeks old!
You want to also be sure she is warm enough, you might want to get a reptile heating pad to put under part of her cage, but be sure she has room to move so she doesn't get too hot.

It's illegal in a lot of places to sell baby animals before 8 weeks of age.
And it's definitely immoral to take a baby away from it's mother so young.

Please seriously consider reporting this "breeder" to the proper authorities (USDA). And if you don't want to I would be more than happy to if you PM this person's information to me.

What area are you in? Maybe there is someone close by that can offer you help.

Did this person have other babies for sale.

This is one hundred percent unacceptable.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
OMG, She is way too small to be away from mom. Where are you located and what breeder did you get her from. Email me the information please. [email protected]

·
Registered
475 Posts
How dare any breeder sell a baby so young that it's eyes are not open yet! ARGGG!!! That baby looks to be only 2 weeks old. Please try to find another breeder that could take care of her for you, until she gets a little older. Taking care of one that small is a round the clock effort....like feedings every two hours....including getting up during the night. It probably still needs to be stimulated to go POOP.

This is now the 3rd time (I believe) in the past week that we've seen reports of BAD breeders. Is there any way we can put a posting on the forum and put these breeders name out to the public?

I'm so angry right now, I'm literally shaking while trying to type this. If you don't get that little one some professional help soon, I'm afraid it might not make it. If you are going to keep it, you must commit yourself to the demands of hand raising it.

Pixie

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yes, these kinds of breeders need to be recognized as someone NOT to buy hedgehogs from.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I would like to add, if you need help bringing your baby to a responsible breeder, I'm more than happy to be part of a transport train if there are none in your area.

·
Registered
754 Posts
He is now is contact with a breeder nearby that will help out. Also, the breeder nearby will help get the other breeder shut down.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am going to give my hedgie to the breeder who contacted me, so that she can be cared for until weaned. I want to thank everyone who helped me and I will post pics of her when I get her back. Thank you all so very much again

·
Registered
754 Posts
I am soo glad. Baby Chowder will do best with a hedgehog mom. Please help get the breeder that sold you Chowder closed down.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I'm glad he finally found someone nearby to help. I emailed him with a referral that were listed as breeders in his State, but he said they were too far away. I could not find any other breeders listed. I'd like to THANK the breeder that is going to help him. What a wonderful thing to do, and hopefully the little one will be okay.

Pixie

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They are breeders with Phat Exotics the mans name is Patrick and his partners name is Amanda Patrick agreed to hand feed her since he is experienced in that but Amand has a surrogate so they are going to try that before hand raising.They are going to take her until she is weened. And then she will be returned to me.I beleive they are located in McKinney and I would refer them to anyone near the DFW metroplex as they are very nice and very helpful. They are also working to get the breeder shut down and I am going to do everything in my power to help make sure this breeder doesnt do this to anymore hedgies or hedgie owners. Chowder and I thank all of you for your help and concern.And I will post pics of her with her foster family and when I get her back.Thanks again

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
I am glad there is a mom that she will be able to be with. Please keep us posted on her progress.

Hugs

·
Registered
336 Posts
I'm glad you found someone to help you out! Definitely keep everyone updated.

And did you name her Chowder after the cartoon? I love Chowder :] And either way I love the name!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I took Chowder to the breeder today and he informed me that she was only about two weeks old. Chowder was placed with a mother and the mother took to her very well.The breeder is also taking every action against the breeder I got her from. I feel terrible about all of this and her being taken from her mother. Had I known how young she was I would have never ever taken her. But I am glad I did because now she will receive the care she needs and I am going to do everything I can to make sure that this breeder doesnt do this to anyone else.I again thank all of you who helped me and I am forever in your debt

·
Administrator
3,585 Posts
I mentioned this last night in chat with you. Please don't beat yourself up over taking her. The chances of this breeder having sold her to someone else who didn't seek help and question her age could have led to her death. You've done good. You've questioned and sought help. Now lets hope that the surrogate takes little Chowder in and she can grow big and strong with a foster mommie. Quills crossed here for her.

·
Registered
754 Posts
You did the right thing coming to "us" at HHC. We care about all hedgehogs! I am glad we were able to help. Please get that breeder closed down. We don't want anymore babies suffering because he is money hungry! It breaks my heart to think someone is that greedy.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Gnarly said:
I'm glad you found someone to help you out! Definitely keep everyone updated.

And did you name her Chowder after the cartoon? I love Chowder :] And either way I love the name!!
lol i love that show and name too! i am glad you got everything sorted out! good luck!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts