Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting an 8 week old hedgehog in September and I have been reading almost every topic in this forum, googling all my questions, but I can't seem to find the answer for what I should feed a hoglet. I am getting her, Cinaminni, from a friend that breeds them so I know the mom's current diet (all the told me was Purina One), but I have no idea if hoglets should eat the same food as an adult hedgehog would. I plan on using a cat food, but I am unsure as to whether they should have kitten food or adult food. Also I read everything about the fat/protein percentages, but I think I saw hoglets would be given a higher amount of fat since they are still growing. And if they do get put onto a kitten food, should I ween her off of it when she is technically not a hoglet anymore at 6 months, or when would I do that? I think I am going to do blue chicken cat/kitten food. I am just trying really hard to make sure I do as much as possible right and gather as much info before I bring Cinaminni home.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorta weird question, I make my own ceramics so if I made Cinaminni a food and bowl dish myself with lead-free glaze, would it be okay for her to eat and drink out of it?

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Yes hoglet's generally get higher fat from the normal range of 10%-15%.
When your hedgehog comes home she will need to eat the food she was weaned onto. Then you would want to add another food into a mix following the instructions on http://www.hedgehogcentral.com/foru...3034-beginner-s-guide-hedgehog-nutrition.html.
As far as making your own crocks, honestly I have no clue. The issues would be any glaze/paint, which you covered. Any small imperfections, cracks or holes that would collect bacteria. And it's washablity.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts