Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! Hubert went to the vet yesterday for his green poops and they gave me an antibiotic for him. (it starts with an M i can’t quite thing of what it is atm but i looked it up and it’s safe) i put it on his food last night to give it to him that way and he literally gaged and spit it out (then he ate the bits he spit out) and drank a bunch of water. poor baby lol. i was going to go get him something to mix it with so it’s not as bad, do you guys thing baby food or wet cat food would be better? the dr. said it was a fruiter type of med so i’m thinking the baby food but hubie hasn’t liked the fruitier things i’ve given him. maybe a turkey or chicken baby food? or wet cat food? which is better for him? i’m going when i get off work in a few hours so plz answer if you have any thoughts. i’ll probs end up getting both lol

·
Administrator
3,603 Posts
Either. You want to be careful if you are introducing new foods though. The chances of him anointing with something new and just spreading the medication over himself is high. You may find it better to syringe him the meds, and give him a chaser immediately afterwards to stop the problem. Play a bit. I have had a hedgehog or two who loved baby food veggies. I'd mix that into the meds, then sryinge it all together to help mask the meds.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Either. You want to be careful if you are introducing new foods though. The chances of him anointing with something new and just spreading the medication over himself is high. You may find it better to syringe him the meds, and give him a chaser immediately afterwards to stop the problem. Play a bit. I have had a hedgehog or two who loved baby food veggies. I'd mix that into the meds, then sryinge it all together to help mask the meds.
okay. when i sryinge it am i supposed to shove it in his mouth? the past two days i’ve mixed it with a baby food and he still wanted nothing to do with it so i put it on top of his kibble and he ate it no problem. he’s so stubborn and picky lol. thank you for replying!

·
Administrator
3,603 Posts
The approach to their mouth can play a big part in resistance to take meds. Approach the hedgehog from the side of the mouth and put a little in its mouth. Approach from the side because hedgehogs have tiny hairs on their mouth that are sensitive and should you squirt too much it won't go down the throat and cause the hedgehog to aspirate.

If he will take it all from his kibble go with it. Whatever works so long as he takes it all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts