Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what the general opinion is on baby foods for hedgies as a treat. Domino is very anti anything that isn’t her kibble (she will just eat around anything else in her bowl including her old kibble her precious owner left for me). I’ve tried lettuce, blackberries, plain cooked chicken, peas, and even the freeze dried mealworms but she won’t look at any of it. I feel bad she doesn’t get treats or anything special with her kibble. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
7 Posts
My hedgie doesn’t like freeze dried mealworms either. Try scrambled eggs, and canned or live mealworms. Personally, I wouldn’t feed a hedgehog baby food.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Baby food for babies is not suitable for hedgehogs. But Royal Canin produces baby food for kittens, it corresponds in composition to the milk of a cat. Perhaps, a small hedgehog will be suitable as a complementary food, while it gets used to regular food.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Actually, I'm pretty sure baby food is on the list for safe treats. As with any treat, you would want to give a tiny amount, and only hedgie safe flavors. Always read the labels to make sure there's not a toxic ingredient. (For instance, I've seen chicken baby food with onions in it, which would not be good for a hedgehog.)
My hedgie personally won't touch baby food, but yours might. And once again, moderation is key, as with any treat. :)

·
Administrator
3,616 Posts
This is one of those areas where some of us disagree. I'm on the baby food is fine side. Just watch what you give many of the baby foods are higher in natural sugars. Sweet potato, sweet peas, and carrots are sweet foods and usually loved by many. I have had a few that loved green beans. If you don't want to buy the jarred stuff, make your own. Steam veggies until soft, add water and puree them yourself. You can get small silicon candy molds to freeze the treats into then take them out to thaw/warm as needed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts