Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hedgehog Sophie gave birth to 3 babies last night. This morning one of them was out of the hut so we took a clean spoon and put it back in. When we came home they were all nursing and in the hut. Now all 3 are out of the hut again, we put them back in. Is this just an accidental thing? Does this mean she is going to stop taking care of them? I'm really stressed out about this whole thing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
We are not even going in there, because we do not want to stress her out. We just went in to feed them and noticed it.

·
Registered
581 Posts
LEAVE THEM ALONE!!!!!!!!! the more you mess with them the bigger the chance the mama is going to get stressed and canibalize them. You should only be going in there once a day to feed and water....sounds like you have been in there at least 3 times so far just today. They will find their way back in i am sure esp. if she has already been nursing them.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Please leave them alone what she does with the babies for the next two weeks is up to her. there is nothing you can do to save them if you stress her out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, thank you. We went in once to feed them and we opened the door twice to peek inside, but we are DEFINATLY not going in at all today.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Just opening the door is even enough to stress her out....Even if you think you are being quiet she still knows you are there.

·
Registered
133 Posts
just make shure when you do go in one time a day to feed them that you are verry quiet and dont stress her. then in 2-3 weeks you can start to see the babies and hold them slowly.

good luck with you babies!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, thank you everybody. I'm sorry, I am just so stressed about this whole thing because I've seen what a mother can do to the babies. We are going to leave her alone and when I do go into feed her once a day, I will be very quick and quiet.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Because there were 3 babies outside of the hut.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
What type of nest box are you using? Sometimes babies will crawl off and if it's a large litter mom might take a few minutes to round them up.

If babies are outside the nest, I check again in about 30 minutes. Talk quietly to mom when you go near the cage so she knows it's you. While I don't encourage messing with the babies, if they are outside the nest for too long, they can get cold and cold babies are often rejected. If after 30 minutes babies have not moved, pick one up and see if it is cold. If so, warm it before putting it quickly back with mom. If the baby is warm quickly put them in with mom and leave. Check again in about an hour.

Keep in mind that the majority of people on this thread giving you advise are not breeders.

·
Registered
6 Posts
A Female I have, rescued her prego. Had babies 4wks ago. She did the same thing, babies would be out of the nest etc I moved them back a couple times and she sorta got the idea that she needed to keep them warm (She was busy building a nest AFTER giving birth LOL). Shes a great mommy though and has raised her hoglets really good. I would limit the amount of time your in the room or around her, But I myself was very stressed too and kept peeking on her at first...didn't seem to bother my hedgie but a lot of people strongly advise not to do it...

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
It all depends on the mom how easily they stress. Some moms are very relaxed and carefully helping corral babies once or twice is not a problem. Others will absolutely freak out and harm or abandon the babies if there is a different sound, voice, thunder, snowplow, smell, or even lingering too long when refilling dishes.

The problem is, a first time mom you have no clue what they are going to be like. Sometimes mom can seem fine with you being near and as soon as you leave the room, she goes nuts. Sometimes we have to risk intruding or babies will die anyways but it is always best to stay away unless absolutely necessary and at all times, keep in mind that anything you do in the room, or around mom you are risking the babies.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Also, some female doesn't have the maternal instinc at the first litter. If the babies are out side, there is a reason. Maybe they just crawl out the nest, maybe mom doesnt want to feed them because of the stress if you disturb her, maybe they are sick so mom doesn't want to feed them... could be a lot of reason and that's why we try to say you to not disturb her.

When the babies are out side, try to put them back with mom, with a spoon. Don't let your odour on the babies or near the nest. Try to not beeing see by mom to not stressed her.

Good luck and keep in touch!! ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts