Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i was curious how old baby hedgehogs are when the start to get there color? I have looked all over the site but cant seam to find a answer. My fiances brother female had babies 3 days ago and i was looking at them today and there is 5, 4 of the 5 have a grayish colored skin and one has like a pinkish colored skin, does that mean anything? And The mom and dad both are dark colored but the mom had a white spot on her back, can the babies turn out albino or different colors than the parents even thought he parents are both dark?(im guessing chocolate or salt and pepper is the mom and dads colors)

if anyone can help me out that would be cool :)

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Not to be rude, but you should be nowhere near those babies. I wouldn't be surprised if mom killed all the babies from having people bothering her so early. The person who bred them should not be bothering her for two weeks anyhow, let alone visitors.

Pigment starts coming in after a few days, but that tells you next to nothing about what color they will be other than skin light/dark. You won't know the actual color of the hedgie until after you take it home, so even when you're picking one out you won't know.

The white spot is pinto, not albino, though one of the babies could be albino.

I suggest leaving them alone until they are actually old enough to be bothered, and then you can get a general idea. You won't know until 9 weeks what the color is.

·
Registered
754 Posts
No one should be looking at the babies (disturbing the nest) until they are at least 10 days - 2 weeks old. Mom could kill the babies, to protect them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I never touched them, i went in quietly and lifted the house just enough where i can could see the babies, the mom puffed up like twice but that's it, i didn't touch or put my hands or anything in the cage, i just looked for a few minutes then put the house back over her. Do you think that was ok?

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Nope, even being near the cage isn't good. Her owner should only be going near the cage to give food and water, peeking is a big big no-no.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts