Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i thought that my little girl was pregnant and she should have had the babies 3 weeks ago from what my husband said the time she was in the males cage. before you yell at me i will let you know that she got out and we have since made sure it wont happen again.

so since we didnt have any babies last week we put her back in her normal cage. we use fleece liners (she likes to sleep under it). we also have a igloo in there. well this morning her cage was all messy the liner was in the middle of the cage and everything was in disarray. i didnt have time to clean it today so i just left it alone. i usually clean the cages everyday. then tonight i went in to feed them and stuff. i lifted up the igloo becasue it was strange that she would have been in there. well i saw 4 little pink babies with very small quills. i quickly put everything back and went into shock! i dont know what to do!!!!! she is in a C&C cage with a fleece liner bunched up under an igloo! are the babies going to be ok like that? also when i lifted up the liner i saw blood on the chloroplast. is this normal? what should i do. she doesnt have a wheel in the cage and they are located in the quietest room in the house. is there something i can do about the fleece? will the babies suffocate under it? should i put some litter in in case she wants to move the babies there? we have a 2x3 cage so its pretty big but she happens to be in the middle of it! help please!!!

Amber

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
That is very strange for her to have gone 3 whole weeks over her due date... I don't even think that is possible without her having to have been put back in the male's cage at a later date. Anyhow, you have babies now. Sorry and congrats all in one. :lol:

I would say you can put in a nesting box (shoe box, ice cream tub with a hole, etc) in the cage and she will move the babies if she feels like it. If possible make it the size of a large igloo or so, that way there is room for the babies as they get bigger. Other than putting a box in if she wants it, I wouldn't risk changing anything else.

Good luck!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
we have some extra chloroplast that i plan on putting around the sides, but i am going to wait a few days because i dont want to have dead babies. i also put in a shoe box with a small blanket. i hope she moves the babies there. when can i clean the cage? she moved the igloo over now so i can see the blood on the floor of the cage. i dont want to keep it there but im not sure if i should clean it up. also my male is in the same room. can i clean his cage or should i leave it because of the noise? the cages are next to each other. should i check on the babies or should i wait for a while? is my little girl going to be ok? i am so nervous about all of this!

oh and just out of curiosity what color babies will they be? the mom is a Algerian chocolate pinto and the dad is a ruby eyed cinnocot. we have decided to keep one of the babies if we have any males. we dont want any more females to worry about having babies!

·
Administrator
8,486 Posts
don't bother mom at all, don't clean the cage or peek at the babies, the best thing you can do is stay away as much as possible except to feed and water. I wouldn't clean the males cage for at least a few days either, the less noise in the room the better. There is no way to guess what colour the babies will be, you'll just have to wait and see. You might want to read as many threads as possible in the Breeding section just to help with other suggestions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts