Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! So, I just got my first hedgehog last Saturday, and, of course, I have a poop question. I read that to assist with litter training, put the litter pan away from where they sleep and eat. Problem is, Hannah poops everywhere - in her food bowl, where she sleeps, everywhere. Do they out grow this as they get older? She is just a baby. Just curious because at the moment I don't think it's a good sign that littler training will work - but of course, I love her anyway! =) Thanks!

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
Babies are poop machines :lol: it will ease up as they get older,most times.
Seeding her litter box with some poop will help with the litter training.
Does she have a wheel? Most hogs will poop on their wheels so it's a good idea to have a litter box under your wheel too,works for me.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I found that when litter training my hedgehogs, moving their pee to the litter box (as well as their poop) seemed to teach them faster where the potty area was. I took paper towel, absorbed any pee from the liner and then placed it in the litter box. If you are using shavings/other bedding, you can always scoop the pee covered bedding and put a little bit of that in the litter box.

Actually what kind of bedding are you using? It's easier to litter train with liners because then you can put litter in the litter box, and the hedgehogs don't get confused between what's bedding and what's litter. If you are using shavings/other bedding, make sure your litter is distinctly different from your bedding material (ie. yesterdays news - which is pellet form), this may help your hedgie.

It could also be that your hedgehog isn't a fan of the litter you are using in the litter box. What are you using? Mine, for example, think paper towel is something to drag into their bed, not pee or poop on, so I can't use paper towel in the litter box.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts