Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so Bonzo has been on Wellness for about 2 weeks now and his poop smells awfuullll. I mean it stinks up the whole room. Its still also really soft and gets everywhereee at night. Is there any other food I can mix in so that his poop doesn't smell so bad? because i don't think i can take the smell anymore. It wakes me up in the middle of the night and i have to clean it off his wheel just so i can sleep. help!

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Yes, I'd wean him off the Wellness. It is a food that doesn't agree with all hedgehogs and can cause rank poo.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
If you are feeding only Wellness, it's best to add a few foods to the mix. It's a very good food, but a bit too good all on its own.

·
Registered
395 Posts
It is indeed very rich for some hedgehogs, much like how certain foods of a Mexican variety cause the same effect among your family/co-workers.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
haha, i see. i'll get another food to put in. any suggestions on which ones are good to mix that don't have the mexican food effect, lol

·
Registered
395 Posts
chicken soup for the cat lovers soul - senior hairball formula only (the other ones are not as safe)
halo spots stew sensitive stomache (16% fat, if you feed it in a mix it shouldn't affect your hedgie to much. If she doesn't run on a wheel often, it may nto be good. Vex has a hard time keeping weight on so i started using this)
Natural Balance pea and duck (i have this in my mix but vex won't touch it. other owners say it is their hedgies favorite)

What i do right now is i put 9 pieces of wellness in a treat bowl every night and he eats that right away, and then will reluctantly move on to the other food. I am trying to ween him off the wellness and just use it as a treat. Last night was the first big success, he ate ALL of the second bowl of halo spot's stew (didn't touch the Chicken soup or natural balance, but ate 100-130 pieces of the spots stew)

Oh!
the spot's stew is 1/3 the size of the wellness kibble. Very very small kibbles that are easier for vex to chew, and they are pretty soft. It also smells like human food and not cat food. With vex eating 9-18 pieces of wellness a night along with mealworms and other food his poop does not smell at all anymore. If he eats more that 20 (i have done tests -.- i am a scientist at heart, engineer by profession) his poop gets progressively more stinky. I used to have him eating 100% wellness, 40-50 kibble a night and it was absolutely rank. I could not stand it.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Why are the other versions of Chicken soup not as safe as chicken soup for the cat lovers soul - senior hairball formula?

·
Registered
395 Posts
found out yesterday it contains sodium bi sulfate which in high concentrations leads to a bunch of diseases including liver failure.

In such a small animal to concentration by mass is much higher than it would be in a larger cat, and even then it is linked to animal deaths.

The senior hairball does not have sodium bisulfate in it.

For a full description see: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2101&start=30

It appears right after flax seed in the ingredients iirc.

edit: they are by no means bad, they just are not as good. It is unknown exactly what sodium bisulfate (Vitamin K3) will do to hedgehogs, but i can only assume it won't be good.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Sorry Nancy, i appear to have been mistaken and i have edited the information i found on Sodium Bisulfate. Foods containing sodium bisulfate may or may not have menadione (the toxic part) in it. Sodium bisulfate can be used on it's own to regulate PH levels in an organic creatures, but some pet companies put sodium bisulfate on their ingredient list when in reality they use menadione sodium bisulfate.

The easiest way to differentiate between the two would be to see if their are high Vitamin K levels in the food, as Menadione is artificial vitamin K. Calling the pet food companies is probably the best bet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts