Hedgehog Central banner
81 - 100 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Name : Winston
Weight: 266 grams

He runs on his wheel at night but I don't know how much because he won't let me see! We play for 30 minutes to an hour a day, mostly giving him kibble and letting him climb on our hands and nuzzle our necks. I also bring him outside every few days and he likes to explore. (I'll add picture later)

Here is a picture of him.

Hedgehog Domesticated hedgehog Eye Erinaceidae Plant

·
Registered
359 Posts
Name: Bruce Quillis
Weight: 281.1 grams
Notes: very active runs all night long. Does not sit still when held. Super nice, never balls up. Eats/likes evolve cat food and meal worms.

Attachments

·
Registered
359 Posts
Name: Nikki
Weight: 371.2 grams
Note: she runs on her wheel here and there. But has a very large cage she runs around like a obstacle course. She is very loving and likes to lay around most of the times she's out of her cage. She eats/likes evolve cat food and fresh cooked beef.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Name: Penny
Weight: 226 grams
Notes: She is pretty active on her wheel, poopy but not enough to get poop boots. This might be because it gets flung off her wheel as she runs. She's fast. She gets a couple of meal worms a day and eats about 80 kibbles a night. She was 130 grams the day I brought her home. She is almost double her size now. I need to get her on a lower calorie food because of the mealies.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hedgehog's Name: Spork
Weight in grams:
456 grams as of today!
Age in below picture:
3 months (born 4/4/14)
Notes on activity level, health, etc:
I've only had Spork for a week so far, and he's already gained nearly 50 grams. Odd thing is, he hasn't been eating much (I think). He sleeps like a hedgehog, and during playtime prefers to actively explore rather than cuddle. Haven't seen how he does with a wheel yet. The breeder said he was a big boy, and I personally wouldn't be surprised if he grows close to 600 grams. We'll see! :)

(He was trying to dig and burrow under the dollar bill, which is why he isn't so neatly posed as some of the other pictures here. ;D )

Attachments

·
Banned
533 Posts
Name: Olive
Weight: 505 grams (yes...that's right... 505 grams)
Notes: So baby Olive is an explorer. She loves to sniff and if I let her run free she would smell and check out every single thing in the entire house. She loves to run. Her favorite foods are hard boiled eggs, headless super worms (she rarely gets because they are so fatty) and Mealies. She is a BIG hedgie. To pick her up and hold her takes 2 hands, when she is in a ball she still overflows my hands. I think she could lose a couple grams or so even though the vet told me she is PERFECT and one of the healthiest hedgehogs she has ever seen and is at the optimal weight.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Name: Oreo :grin:
Weight: 245.4
Notes: Oreo is a mostly a explorer but I get my 30-45 minutes of snuggle sleep time a night. He started speed walking on his wheel yesterday and love. It. (yay! another wheel to clean)
He eats Evolve kitten formula and Blue Buffalo Salmon and Brown Rice (indoor Heath) he hasn't been getting many treats yet but has liked beef and egg.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Name: Luna
Weight: 380 grams
Notes: Have only had her a couple of months so I don't have a totally accurate activity level for her as it still seems to be fluctuating. Generally she will run on her wheel at night for a few hours though.

Font Plant Pattern Drawing Illustration (UK £5 note as opposed to a dollar bill)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Dax

Hedgehog's Name: DAX (boy)
Weight in grams: 228.5
Age in below picture: 2/16/2015 roughly 9 weeks 2 months 1 week
Notes on activity level; very active loves to explore, loves meal worms, little hog ate 9 in one sitting last night...How many should I be feeding him at one time? He is a piglett he loves his food and water....hates his wheel but loves to dig....he cuddles to your neck but watch your hair or it might become his nest....hes black with white spots on his sides.....and underneath white with black spots, he hates being on his back or his feet touched, but loves his nose rubbed...

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hedgehogs Name: Rosie
Weight in Grams: 271
Age in below picture: 11 months (2 with me)
Notes: Runs nightly, still on food from previous owner (IAMS), occasional scrambled egg, baby food (mostly veggie) every other night, first mealies last night

(Sorry for not so great pic. When put down, she's a mover! Standard gift card for size reference.)

http://www.hedgehogcentral.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

·
Registered
11 Posts
Name: Jawn
Weight: 535 grams
Notes: Jawn WAS the runt of his litter, but now it appears that he is far from that. He still runs on his wheel a ton, but 535 grams seems to be a lot, so I'm switching to a cat food with even lower fat.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just rescued my hedgehog and he is around 9 months old. And I was just wondering what age hedgehogs usually stop growing.:)

·
Registered
677 Posts
I just rescued my hedgehog and he is around 9 months old. And I was just wondering what age hedgehogs usually stop growing.:)
Someone correct me if I'm remembering this incorrectly because my brain is mush at the moment.

Hedgies are considered adults at 6 months old but will often grow and fill out a bit more until around 1 year of age.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Name: Prickles
Weight: 282 grams
Notes: He is my first hedgehog. He loves his food and mealworms. He seems to run on his wheel based on the mess I have to clean up every morning. He is very grumpy when he first wakes up but he is coming around slowly. I'm absolutely in love with him!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
This is a fun thread but can't we use a better, international way of measuring the hedgehogs (instead of using a dollar bill)?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Name: Reggie
Weight: 263 grams!
Notes: The vet said he's the smallest hedgehog she's ever seen, but he's healthy so there's no concern weight-wise. He may just be a bit of a runt. He runs on his wheel all night long, but I feed him a mix of foods higher than the recommended fat as well as mealworms every day to try and keep his weight in check.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hedgehog Name: Dinah
Hedgehog Weight: 392 grams
Hedgehog Age in Picture: 6.5 months

Runs on wheel every night. Lights on timer from 9a-9p. Fed Blue Buffalo Puppy Small Breed Grain Free Chicken. I only rarely give her mealworms, because i've seen what too many can do to a hedgehog. My ex-boyfriend's lived off of "hedgehog food" and mealworms every day with no wheel and didn't even make it to a year.

Anyway, I'm concerned because she went from 291 grams on 7/26/15 to 392 grams today (9/29/15). Is that much of a weight gain normal???

I know some people don't like blue buffalo, but I've never had any problems with it. Those of you who hate it, have you actually done through research or even spoken to a representative??? Cause I have and all these awful rumors are mostly untrue. However, there will always rare cases with EVERY food that an animal does not agree with in some way. Same with all human foods and medications. Don't just assume it's horrible based off of only a few bad reviews. Think about how many average and outstanding reviews there are that people just haven't gotten around to posting.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
This is a fun thread but can't we use a better, international way of measuring the hedgehogs (instead of using a dollar bill)?
Just google the measurements of a dollar bill. They're usually just a bit skinner and longer than most other currencies.

81 - 100 of 122 Posts