Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! We all know that hedgies come in a wide range of shapes and sizes, and it can be hard to tell what is healthy for each individual hog. I think it'd be great if we could all share what our own hedgehogs weigh and how big they are, so we could get some sort of example of the variety of sizes out there.

It would be best to leave any chatter out of this thread. Please just add your own hedgehogs, and if something really needs to be discussed feel free to make a new thread for it. Unnecessary conversation will be removed.

Format:

Hedgehog's Name: Whatever your hedgehog goes by, here.
Weight in grams: Most people weigh in grams. If you can only weigh in ounces I can edit your post to show the weight converted to grams.
Age in below picture: Especially important to know if you are submitting a hedgehog under 6 months old. Estimates are fine, if you aren't sure.
Notes on activity level, health, etc: (anything that may influence your hedgehog's weight or size) Things like "refuses to run on wheel, runs like crazy, has stunted growth from previous care, is excessively fat despite attempts to lose weight, etc" are good for determining whether your hedgie is a good example of weight for its size. (Like a tiny hedgehog should not be 700 grams, and a large hedgehog should not be 300 grams)

***And please include a picture***

It would be best to get a picture of your hedgehog from above, next to a common household object such as a soda can, US dollar bill, etc. for size comparison.

Note from Nancy: I think a bill is the best to use as comparison. That way everyone will be consistent. The Canadian bills might be a wee bit different size than the US but not enough that it would make a difference.

Ready set go! Thanks in advance for your participation!

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hedgehog's Name: Inky
Weight in Grams: 280
Age in Below Picture: 3 years 4 months
Notes: Avid runner, on a high fat diet to keep weight up.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hedgehog's Name: Stub
Weight in grams: 315 g
Age in below picture: 1 Year
Notes: 3 legs - runs average .5 - 1 mile / night

[attachment=0:2n6iu3to]IMG_1066.JPG[/attachment:2n6iu3to]

Attachments

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Hedgehogs Name: Cholla
Weight in Grams: 300
Age in below picture: 4 1/2 months
Notes: Avid runner. Has recently lost 10 grams, adding more mealies to his diet.

Hedgehogs Name: Zoey
Weight in Grams: 366
Age in below picture: About 1 1/2 years
Notes: Activity unknown - only had her few days

·
Registered
276 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Hedgehog's Name: Col. Mustard.
Weight in grams: 272g.
Age in below picture: 1 year old.
Notes on activity level, health, etc: Mustard runs like a maniac every night. She's very small, I believe because of previous care before we've adopted her -- tiny cage, ferret food and no wheel.

Sorry for the picture, she just wouldn't stand still for even a second! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Name: Q
Weight: 222 grams
Notes: Hes still recovering from a recent health issue. The Vet feels that hes underweight, so were working on him gaining. At the time of his Vet visit...he was 189 grams...so were going in the right direction! Hes an avid runner, and enjoys long walks on the beach.

[attachment=0:19ki8opj]P8270374.jpg[/attachment:19ki8opj]

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
Name: Lulu
Weight: 340 grams
Notes: Lulu's tail and back leg are paralyzed. She has a cataract in one eye and almost no teeth. She won't eat on her own anymore, so she eats a blend of chicken breast, carrots, peaches, potato, strawberries and soy yogurt from a dropper. She eats about 1.5 tablespoons twice a day. I think she was neglected before I got her. She lived in a 10 gallon tank, had no fur on her underside, and her quills were fairly sparse. I thought she was younger because she started getting a lot of new quills a month after we got her, but now I think they grew back when she was getting enough to eat.

Name: Spikey
Weight: 312 grams
Notes: Spikey eats dry cat food, chicken breast, and whatever fruits/veggies the family is eating that day. He escapes from his cage almost every night and roams the house. His daddy was huge, definitely the biggest hedgehog I've seen, and his mom was an average size.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Name: Lily
Weight: 370-380 g (Haven't been able to weigh her for a week or more, scale needs battery)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Name: Smee
Weight: 344 g
Notes: Runs almost all night, eats a fair amount, probably close to 2 tbsp dry cat food per day, plus mealworms a few times a week. Has yet to accept any fruits, vegetables, meats, herbs, etc. When I got him I was told he wouldn't get much bigger, but he has definitely rounded out! Does not run around much at playtime, prefers to stick close to mom and snuggle.

[attachment=0:8l2oubd6]size.jpg[/attachment:8l2oubd6]

(In this picture you can see my red shirt; he wouldn't stand next to the bill unless it was right next to me :lol:)

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Name: Sam: Short for Commander Sam Vimes: Night Watch (Pratchett anyone?)
Weight: 380g
Age: 13-14 Weeks (Assuming they weaned at 6-7wks. I counted wrong the other day.)
Notes: Worlds most relaxed hedgehog. NEVER rolls and only puffs up when you first wake him. After that it's smooth sailing. Likes to snuggle and LOVES his wheel at night. Will run around our carpeted basement in the evening but usually ends up curling back up against me or in his hog sack on the floor after a search for worms proves fruitless. Gets along great with our guinea pigs - but unlike them hasn't really cared for any "Human" food yet i.e. fruits, veg, meat.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hedgehog's Name: Boba Twiggle (combination of Boba Fett, Tribble, and Twiggy), AKA Miss Twiggy
Weight in grams: 295g
Age in below picture: 10 weeks
Notes: Miss Twiggy is growing very quickly and has happily gobbled down everything I've offered as a treat, from hardboiled egg to corn. Her father was huge (about 1000 grams--he's on a diet, but he'd be on the large side even if he wasn't chubby) and she seemed quite big compared to her litter mates. She wheels every night, but it's hard to say how much.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Heehee The babies were sleeping soundly until I walked in...

Name: Miss Muffet
Weight: 272g
She eats a mix of Blue Buffalo- Spa Select Weight Control, Natural Balance- Pea & Duck, Halo-Spot's Stew- Seafood Medley, and Hills- Science Diet Light. She doesn't seem to like many vegetables or fruits but LOVES any meat she can get her paws on (turkey, crab, wet cat food etc.)! She also goes crazy for mealies and loves her wheel and redecorating her cage (that must take some exercise lol). She was very small from the beginning and only 1 litter mate was as small as her. They were the smallest the breeder ever had but were active and healthy so we were able to get her. Dad was a HUGE hedgie (large but also a bit fluffy) and mom was a fairly average to a bit above average sized hog. She's a little longer when she stretches out but she usually only does when she's trying to run. She is a sweetheart and only huffs a lot when she's in a bad mood.

Name: Dexter Nizzles
Age: About 1 year old this month (rescue-unsure of actual age)
Weight: 289g
He eats a mix of Blue Buffalo- Spa Select Weight Control, Natural Balance- Pea & Duck, Halo-Spot's Stew- Seafood Medley, and Hills- Science Diet Light. He has a great appetite and loves pretty much anything you give him (mealies, meat,veggies, fruits). I don't think he's ever turned down anything we've offered! lol He is a wheeling machine and is extremely fast! We don't know his actual age, but based on info from his previous owners, I figure he should be about 1 year old this month. Edit- Had no wheel until I rescued him in April and was eating Brown's Hedgehog Food.
He's a little stinker who'd rather be left alone and will run and hide when he sees us coming! lol

Name: Iggy AKA Egon
Weight: 655g
He currently eats a mix of Meow Mix and Royal Canin but we're going to wean him onto the other mix. He also likes mealies but I'm not sure what else yet. He has the same large father as Miss Muffet and his mother may be Miss Muffet's foster mom (awaiting confirmation from breeder). We just got him Saturday and he started using his wheel last night. He's a very chill hedgehog but he's still adjusting so we're getting to know each other better. :)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Name: Winston
Weight: 505 grams
Notes: Winston eats like CRAZY, sometimes almost 100 pieces a night. His food is a mixture of Natural Balance Green Pea and duck, Solid Gold Katz 'n' Flocken and Royal Canin Indoor Mature 27. He runs for several hours a night, most of the time at an all-out sprint. The only treats he likes are mealworms, cooked chicken or turkey, and wet cat food, but he doesn't get the last one much because it makes his poop smell extra awful. :p Apparently his mom was a big girl too.

Attachments

·
Registered
524 Posts
Name: Pliny
Weight: 400-405 grams
Notes: Pliny is a little piggie, absolutely loves to eat. Fortunately, he also loves to wheel. We are eagerly awaiting the arrival of our CSW to replace the dying comfort wheel. The Plinster is 85% a cuddle monster, and 15% explorer. Spends part of the week in his 'city house' (my apt. in town) and the other at his 'country house' (a friend's farm where my horse lives). Mostly he keeps me company whilst I write my dissertation - he also likes to help by running around on the keyboard! :roll: He was apparently in 'explorer' mode when I took this photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Name: Wilson
Weight: 250grams
Notes: Wilson is a marathon runner but doesn't eat much. The only food I can get him to eat is Royal Canin Babycat. Since that is high fat, I've left him on that. Since he won't take anything but that and mealworms, changing his food hasn't really been an option. I've tried giving him higher fat waxworms to help him put on weight, but he refuses those. He eats 2-3 teaspoons of kibble a night, and gets 12-15 mealies every afternoon.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Name: Shadow (or as I call him: ShadowBaby)
Weight: 185 grams
Notes: Diet is kitten food. Trying to introduce carrots and live mealies soon. Does not like freeze dried mealies, little stinker! Fave activity is to leave a huge poop RIGHT after Mama cleans his whole cage! :roll:

AH-HA! Found a dollar bill :)

1 - 20 of 122 Posts