Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking for the Aveeno Oatmeal wash yesterday and found some in CVS. Right next to the Aveeno brand was the CVS brand. Now I looked at the ingredients on the back of both to compare and they seemed to be about the same. Now is it worth saving the extra couple bucks to buy the store brand or is straight-up Aveeno the only way to go? I'm more than happy to buy the Aveeno one but I was just looking on how to save some cash with all these little start up costs. Thanks!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think that it should be fine as long as it has the same ingredients.

Personally, I decided to switch from Aveeno to just plain Johnson's Baby Oil shampoo - I like it better because Olive likes it better and if she gets a little in her eyes it won't hurt her. :)

·
Registered
372 Posts
_gatecrasher_ said:
I think that it should be fine as long as it has the same ingredients.

Personally, I decided to switch from Aveeno to just plain Johnson's Baby Oil shampoo - I like it better because Olive likes it better and if she gets a little in her eyes it won't hurt her. :)
Please be aware that the pH balancing required to make the shampoo NOT burn eyes is very damaging and drying to hedgehog skin.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks Hedgemom - good to know! :)

I've noticed it's actually helped Olive's skin so I'll be sure to keep an eye on it. I also have been giving her a few drops of vitamin E oil afterwards and that helps too.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright then I might go with the CVS brand. If it's not going to harm the little one, I've got no problem with saving a couple bucks :) . Thanks

·
Registered
594 Posts
I use the store brand and it works fine for mine.
I also use the store brand of the Johnson's baby wash and it has worked fine for mine as well.
Just keep an eye on their skin no matter what kind you use I would imagine that they are like people, Some soap's and wash's work for some but not other's.
And mine always get a flaxseed rinse at the end of their bath's. I use to use the vitamin e but I didn't like the smell and the feel of it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Oooo...I didn't know you were supposed to buy a special shampoo for hedgies! I thought you just washed them in water. :p Silly me, lol.

How often do you guys bathe your hedgies?

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Baths with just water tend to dry out the skin. There are a lot of different opinions on what the best soaps and what not are best, but a lot of people use unscented Aveeno products, with oatmeal. The oatmeal helps sooth the skin (especially when hedgies are quilling) and usually people will drizzle a bit of oil on hedgie's back when done. I use and prefer flax oil, but some people use olive or vitamin E oil.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
I use just plain water 99% of the time and only use Aveeno on babies or if the hedgehog is particularly dirty.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts