Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
I am a new hedgie owner, my little Latte is only 6 weeks old and like 2 days and iv had her since she was 6 weeks.
She is actually very easy to care for so far, cleaning, feeding,watering, and playing!!
its really not that bad, and when you are cleaning, think of it as fun not a chore :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Tasha said:
I got my hedgie about 6 months ago and agree with everyone that the general day to day care is easy, but i've had a few problems since.

These included housing (I've had to buy 3 different houses due to him not liking vivarium), different wheels (lack of my research!), an on going dry skin problem and recently an undiagnosed tummy upset, sleepless nights of worry and he's also a grumpy little man.

Despite all this he is 100% worth not only every penny, but every minute i have with him. I still get to do my own thing, but enjoy spending the evenings with him and the feeling of looking after something so precious.He;s my baby :p

Like any pet nothing is guaranteed, some dogs are harder than others etc, but i promise that any extra time or money you end up spending will be worth it. :D
I agree with this 100%
My hedgehog isnt just my pet but she's my baby.
I have only had her for a few days but i always went to see her when she was with the person i got her from and i loved seeing her, i always wanted to bring her home early, but i knew couldnt :p
I go to work which i get off late, around 11pm every night so im a night person and then i come home and i always have my little girl to look froward to.
I stay up and play with her and i think she really likes playing with me.
It doesnt bother me to clean her cage or wheel or feed her or anything, because i know me doing that makes her happy, and i want to make sure she is always happy.
you wont regret getting one :D

·
Registered
86 Posts
picklified said:
Thank you so much everyone for the responses...I knew that person who told me that had to be way off or was doing something wrong. I appreciate everyone's input!! I'm going to be researching more on this site before I get one for sure but I really want one!

I've already considered the vacation thing too, I have a bearded dragon that also cannot be left alone for more than a day. But I'm also in college so vacation isn't really a likely thing that will be happening anytime soon haha :lol:

Same with vet bills/getting sick. I've grown up with 7+ cats and a dog at my parents house so I'm well aware of how much vet bills can cost >_< We've had our share of sick animals throughout the years :/

Though I do need to find a vet here that knows hedgehogs in case of an emergency.

Does anyone have any good websites for breeders though? I live in Houston, TX and I can't seem to find any breeders here. They have them here at some pet stores but I don't really trust that...

Once again, thank you everyone who responded!! I didn't even expect to get so many replies to this so I'm really glad :] I will definitely be back here if and when I get a hedgehog
i think if you just google "Hedgehogs for sale in Houston, Texas" you will find Ton's of hedgehogs for sale in your area, also you could google "Hedgehog breeders in Texas" and there should be lots of links to lists of breeders in your area :)

Good luck :D

p.s. make sure you post pics and ideas for your cage ASAP!!! along with ones of your soon to be hedgehog baby if you will get any pics!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.