Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Do you know i thought exactly the same as you. Me and my boyfriend decided we wanted a pet hedgie about 2 months ago so i spent nearly 2 months researching and some sites just plain put you off. They scare you don't they. Just because they all hit you with these ideas and they all tell you whats wrong but dont tell you whats right. I was a little nervous and put off as well. We got our hedgie a week ago and he's been extremely good and easy to take care of. As Nancy said above you just have to make sure the temp is right thats the main thing. Everything else just falls into place when looking after them like any other pet.

I have 3 littles dogs (who are a handful) a rabbit and a hedgie, the hedgie is no problem at all. They do need to be handled every day so they are used to you, but id say 20 hours a week is quite alot to spend on 1 pet, when most people have kids/other pets aswel.

IMO i'd definately recommend getting one, i havent looked back once since getting him, and because you've wanted one for so long you clearly will look after it and have put alot of thought into the lil hedgies arrival.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Yes Silvercat is correct, vet bills are definately one to watch, especially with the smaller animals, our rabbit has cost us more than any of our dogs have ever cost us, although we did not have the rabbit from a baby therefore we had the vet bills from the first owners mis-treatment of her. But people don't tend to think about how much little animals do cost at the vets.

Do you have pet insurance in America? I'm getting my hedgie insured, so if he does develop a long term illness the insurance will pay for it all. Likewise with my doggies insurance. Thats definately something to look into if you don't think you can afford the vet bills, or you have alot of pets.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.