Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Out Beautiful Pygmy is called Lala, she is 5 years and 7 months old (roughly).

She has had a few issues in the last few months including arthritis which she has ongoing painkillers for. Damage to the third eyelid on her left a few months ago which is now totally sorted, and damage to the right one a week ago which she has eye drops for and is healing nicely.

The last couple weeks she had some blood in urine, she has antibiotics for it and is being treated as a UTI, urine starts off VERY red and then clears up after a little to a light pink.

BUT the main reason for the post is today I experienced something today which terrified me. Lala's mum was feeding her some chicken which she was thoroughly enjoying. Suddenly she went limp and closed her eyes and stopped moving. HR and breathing dropped off. I took her and gave her a cuddle thinking it was the end, when she 'reanimated' after about 30 seconds and was totally back to normal within a minute or so.

Was wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this at all or could have a explaination.

Any and all suggestions are welcome

Attachments

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did she choke on a piece of chicken? Since she is getting older maybe smaller bits of food that are softer would be better?

Thanks for your message, I did consider this afterwards and it may be a possibility.

From now on all food will come in paste form from a syringe. Chicken and water in a blender can't be all bad.

· Registered
Holly is a female African Pygmy Hedgehog. She weighs about 463g and was born May 28, 2019.
636 Posts
I would suggest putting the past in a bowl or something so that she can eat when she wants and not feel forced to eat out of a syringe. Just an idea :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.