Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am going to get a hedgehog in november (at the earliest), so I have plenty of time to consider the design for my cage. I recently got two sterilite bins with dementions of 34 x 18" and at one foot tall. That is about 9 sq. feet combined. They come with two lids and have latches attached to the bins. I have the type of duct tubing that many use for their hedgehogs, hoping it will not take up as much room as a ramp would. I have to make it a twostory house because of the limited space. If anybody has any suggestions, please feel free to tell me. I need to attach the top and bottom while being able to take them apart. Thank you!

G

·
Hello,

This topic may help you I think there are a few examples or at least one in there:

Cage Examples

Somethings to keep in mind:

- Some hedgehogs ignore second stories so you may go through all the trouble of making this two story cage with bins for no reason, there is no way to tell until the hedgehog is home and begins to explore. (Just be ready for alternatives or to have a plan to room them temporarily in one bin).

- Make sure you drill enough holes in the bins for good ventilation for your hedgehog's new home.

- You can probably use the vent tube and zip ties to secure them against the wall of the tube but make sure it isn't too steep for your hedgehog.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TWCOGAR said:
Hello,

This topic may help you I think there are a few examples or at least one in there:

Cage Examples

- Some hedgehogs ignore second stories so you may go through all the trouble of making this two story cage with bins for no reason, there is no way to tell until the hedgehog is home and begins to explore. (Just be ready for alternatives or to have a plan to room them temporarily in one bin).

- Make sure you drill enough holes in the bins for good ventilation for your hedgehog's new home.

- You can probably use the vent tube and zip ties to secure them against the wall of the tube but make sure it isn't too steep for your hedgehog.
I've already spent about.. a couple hours or more going over every single word in that topic, lol. I only found one two story cage made from sterilite bins. Sadly, that person used three while I'll have to use two.
I'm thinking that I'll first place my hedgie on the top level. Since they are burrowing animals, I was hopng this would encourage it to expore another level. If not, then whatever. All that work and designing is more useful for keeping me busy beforehand.
I was thinking to use a paper towel roll and twisttie the tube to that.
As for ventilation, I was hoping two drill a couple of rows of holes in the side.

Thanks for your help! :D

G

·
Smudge said:
TWCOGAR said:
Hello,

Cage Examples

I've already spent about.. a couple hours or more going over every single word in that topic, lol. I only found one two story cage made from sterilite bins. Sadly, that person used three while I'll have to use two.
I'm thinking that I'll first place my hedgie on the top level. Since they are burrowing animals, I was hopng this would encourage it to expore another level. If not, then whatever. All that work and designing is more useful for keeping me busy beforehand.
I was thinking to use a paper towel roll and twisttie the tube to that.
As for ventilation, I was hoping two drill a couple of rows of holes in the side.

Thanks for your help! :D
That's a good idea but they may decide if they go down to still not go up, Another Idea is something like I think Larry T does/did which is convert a small cooler into a hedgie home and use a PVC 4" pipe to attach it securely into the bin.

He's using super long Christmas bins though if I am not mistaken but doing that keeps the home out of the space take up equation if your hedgie decides its not a two story kinda hedgehog

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you! I could do that, but the bin MAXes out the space, that is why I plan to build a twostory. If my hedgehog decides not to go up, I'll switch the bed to the bottom and wait around for a couple of weeks, getting the hedgehog more curious about his new home. If it doesn't work though, I'll have to come up with something else. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Maybe you could attach the top bin to the lid of the bottom bin and then cut an opening through both to get a tube through it for the ramp. You could drill a couple holes when they are stacked on top of each other in sets of two and then attach with zip cords, making the buckle end under the lid so the hedgie wouldn't step on them. Then you could either drill lots and lots of holes for ventilation or cut out portions and make screened windows. Just an idea though, make sure to show us pics when you get it done :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! I think i will do something like that! I'm thinking of using ****ing to put the lid and cage bottom together. Thank You!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts