Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hedgie Junie's babies are getting ready to be weaned, and we need a nice, large cage to house them in until they go home. We're keeping this cage to house Finnegan (the baby we're keeping), so it needs to be durable. We'd prefer something that doesn't require a lot of modifications. Also, if it has wire bars for the sides, they need to be thinly spaced!! One of our babies actually squeezed herself through the bars and escaped (she's still very small, and our adult hedghogs could never squeeze through, so we don't have to worry about Junie). She's fine, and we put card paper on the sides so it won't happen again, but we'd prefer to not have to do that with our next cage. So do you guys have any reccomendations? We looked at PetSmart but we couldn't find anything big enough/escape proof. We don't want to use plastic bins. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Regular C&C spacing is too large it sounds like, but maybe the solid cubes would work for you? That way you can adjust the size however you need it, there are no spaces big enough for someone to squeeze out, and it's not a tub. The only thing is that you'd need to make some sort of escape-proof lid.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounds excellent! Does anyone know of a good guide when it comes to making a C&C cage with solid cubes, and where to get the supplies?

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Once weaned the babies should each be in their own cage so you can monitor food intake, weight and ensure each one is doing well on their own being away from mom and siblings. I start by separating by sex and then after a few days each baby goes to his/her own cage. I use clear sterlite bins with mesh lids for housing each individual baby. :)

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts