Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Cassie is nine months old, weighs 496 grams and her favorite food is cat food!
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello! I’ve had my 6 month old hedgehog, Cassie, for about 4 months now. Since I’ve gotten her, she hasn’t shown any interest in foods other than cat food and blueberries. I’ve tried strawberries, roaches, mealworms, and crickets. And I’ve tried all of those multiple times and different ways. (Cut in half, in bits, etc.) So if y’all have any suggestions, please reply! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
A lot of hogs are picky about food. The only thing you can really do is make sure to offer each treat multiple times before giving up on it. Sometimes they don't recognize it as food right away. Just continue to offer treats. You're hog will probably eventually at least try one. But also, try a wider variety. The first thing my girl was willing to try was bell pepper.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A lot of hogs are picky about food. The only thing you can really do is make sure to offer each treat multiple times before giving up on it. Sometimes they don't recognize it as food right away. Just continue to offer treats. You're hog will probably eventually at least try one. But also, try a wider variety. The first thing my girl was willing to try was bell pepper.
Thank you so much!

·
Registered
Holly is 3 years old. Super cuddly and loving.
2,123 Posts
You should try at least 30 times before deciding they don't like something.

Try giving it during play time and leaving in the enclosure over night, maybe try leaving in with the biscuits so she knows it's food.

My girl hates mealworms - which is okay since mealworms are treats and not that good for them anyway.

Try encouraging insects first as they are most important being staple to diet.
You shouldn't try to many new foods at once as it can cause upset stomachs. Also if a food disagrees with her its easier to pin point what one if your only using like new food at a time.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You should try at least 30 times before deciding they don't like something.

Try giving it during play time and leaving in the enclosure over night, maybe try leaving in with the biscuits so she knows it's food.

My girl hates mealworms - which is okay since mealworms are treats and not that good for them anyway.

Try encouraging insects first as they are most important being staple to diet.
You shouldn't try to many new foods at once as it can cause upset stomachs. Also if a food disagrees with her its easier to pin point what one if your only using like new food at a time.
Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts