Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can you buy antibiotics for a hedgehog without a doctor's subscription? aaaand, is there anyway for me to get my hedgehog to start using his wheel, it's a 12 inch silent spinner.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
he's sneezing but i'm only a kid and i don't have a job so i dont have money to bring him to the vet.... and plus, my parents have the philosophy "let nature take it's course" so they're not gonna help at all. They keep telling me to "call petco and see if they have anything for hedgehogs to make him better" but i dont wanna sound stupid... :(

·
Registered
414 Posts
You really need to talk to your parents about hedgie's care...because a little illness can progress quickly and get serious, and hedgies need routine vet care (at least once a year) to ensure good health anyway by catching any possible illnesses early.
Sneezing can be a sign of a respiratory infection, which can get serious if left untreated. I would try to convince your parents to take him to the vet now before it gets worse (and the vet cost therefore gets higher). If he starts licking his nose/having a runny nose, he definitely needs to see the vet.
I wouldn't trust any antibiotics from a non-prescription site, personally, even if you can get them. I would rather go through a vet and not just wing it on my own.

·
Registered
26 Posts
fosteliss said:
he's sneezing but i'm only a kid and i don't have a job so i dont have money to bring him to the vet.... and plus, my parents have the philosophy "let nature take it's course" so they're not gonna help at all. They keep telling me to "call petco and see if they have anything for hedgehogs to make him better" but i dont wanna sound stupid... :(
I would really recommend taking your hedgehog to a vet and remind your parents they a responsibilty to do so. Trust me on this take it now before it gets even worse and you or your parents are going to have to shell out alot more money. If they still insist on not doing so, I'd remind your parents that's animal cruelty and they can be sentenced, jailed, and/or fined. I don't wish to pass any judgement on your parents, but I hope they will do the right thing.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Not only is it you and your parent's responsibility to provide proper care for your hedgie, it would be difficult to properly diagnose and treat your hedgie. There isn't anything in stores that is going to help. They need to see a vet.

Did you get your hedgie from a breeder? They should have required you to have already found a vet, and planned on you using them in the case your hedgie got ill...

Good luck, and it might be a good idea to save up for vet bills if your parents won't pitch in. The cost can add up very quickly.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I agry with every body here.

If you buy a pet, you must know that you'll need to get care for him if he's sick. It's not because he's an animal that he can't be sick!!!

You can ask your parents to get him to the vet and it will be a part of your Cristmas gift!! Could be a good idea!! ;)

Good Luck!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts