Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a really hard time getting my hedgehog to take his antibiotics via syringe. I did take a look at the sticky on the forum, but even if I manage to get his head locked down we end up with antibiotics all over the place. It's really hard to tell if he's getting the prescribed amount because of it. He loves the syringed food the vet sent us home with, but the antibiotics are a complete struggle. Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Have you tried mixing the antibiotics with something to mask the taste? What antibiotics are they? Some of them taste pretty horrible, so I can't blame him! Baby food is pretty useful for mixing medicines with, and a lot of hedgehogs like or will at least tolerate meat baby foods or sweet potato, carrots, or peas. If you try it, suck the medicine up first so you can make sure you have the proper amount, then suck up baby food after. Try not to make it too much so you're not struggling to get it all into him. You can tap and shake the syringe lightly to mix the food & medicine.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They're Metronidazole and Trimethoprim. One is specifically for clostridium infections, and one is to rule out other possible bacteria. The vet said they're strawberry flavoured, but I can try to mix it with the food they gave which he LOVES and see if that helps.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Good luck! If I remember right (tried searching, but couldn't find anything), Metronidazole is one of the nasty ones, so the flavoring might not mask it much. It might also just be that he doesn't like the strawberry flavor too. :lol: I hope he'll take it with the food though!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Me too! When I cracked the lid open, he ran right over and tried to eat straight from the can. He doesn't even get that excited for meal worms!

·
Administrator
8,486 Posts
I used to suck up a bit of canned cat food (I used Hills A/D) then the antibiotics then more canned food. That way the first thing they smell and taste is the canned food and its also the last thing they taste. I found it seemed to help mask the flavour of the antibiotic.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much guys! It went perfect this evening. I probably did a 50/50 split between the food/water mix and the antibiotics, and he wouldn't even let go of the syringe once it was empty! I really couldn't have asked for a better solution. I feel so much better now that I know he's getting every drop of medication he needs.

·
Registered
33 Posts
As someone who is primarily syringe feeding her hedgehog right now I feel your struggle. The first time i tried to give em her antibiotics I almost got her in the eyeball. I'm glad you found a good solution! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts